Greek Life Provides Lifelong Friendships

I Used To Hate On Greek Life, But Then It Gave Me My Best Friend

A shoutout/thank you to the girl who helped me grow mentally, restore my faith, and supported me when I was at my weakest because, without the "srat" life, I would've never met you.

523

Transferring schools has been tough, to say the least.

Adjusting to a different schedule, getting involved, taking more difficult classes, and staying focused on school is hard to balance, especially when you know three people coming into your new school. I transferred rather quickly, and some might even call it a "rash decision" (like my parents.)

At first, I felt like I made the wrong decision. I wasn't making any friends, I was in a terrible routine of only going to class and then to sleep every day, and didn't do much socially. I heard about informal rushing through a friend, so I decided to give it a try, even though I told myself I would never be in a sorority.

A few short weeks later, I accepted my bid to my second home, and little did I know that I would meet someone who would change my life so drastically in such a short amount of time.

I met her at a social event with our house, and my first thought was "OMG she's precious and so pretty, I need to be friends with her." A girl in my house mentioned that we were doing Big Sis/Little Sis soon, so I brought it up to her and said she should do it. She was my rose buddy the next week.

And about a month later, she became my big sister. I knew from the first week that we became friends that we would be close—hell, she was spontaneous enough to come home with me for the weekend to meet my friends and family after only knowing her for a week.

We connected on such a personal level that I never connected with someone that fast before. We had a ton of similar interests, favorites, and although I always was very anti-social, she made me burst out of my shell, which is what I exactly needed coming to a new school.

I basically wanted a redo because, at my old college, I was very introverted and kept to myself, but I wanted to be sociable and outgoing here, and she helped me do that. In a little over a month, we went from not knowing each other to becoming best friends, future roommates, and most importantly, sisters.

In a nutshell, she is really great and I just had to give her a shoutout—yeah, you know who you are.

Thank you for making my dark days brighter by being the amazing ray of sunshine that you are. You make me feel whole. You helped me realize that I do not need makeup or any artificial things to make me feel beautiful.

You have the most beautiful soul and you are so strong.

You have overcome so much, and have grown into a truly influential person who I look up to. You have helped me restore my faith with God, and I am so grateful to know that I will always have a best friend with the same spiritual connection to God as mine. I wish I could say thank you for everything, but I cannot even begin to express how grateful I am for you.

All in all, though, don't hate on or make fun of Greek life, because I used to be that person.

I had no idea how grateful I would be for it. Being in a sorority helped me out of my hardest times, gave me my second home, a space where I feel comfortable to be 100% myself, a group of girls that I am proud to call my sisters, and a family that makes me feel confident, empowered, and truly happy. Most importantly, though, the "srat life" gave me a beautiful, empowering best friend like mine.