6 GREAT Things About The Star Wars Prequels

"I am the senate."

38
YouTube | TheGiles14

HOLD ON HOLD ON HOLD ON, LET ME EXPLAIN!

Seeing as how Solo: A Star Wars Story is coming out this week, I found it fit to write a new Star Wars article!

One thing that I find particularly unfair about Star Wars fans is that a lot simply seem to think that the prequels are pure garbage with no redeeming qualities. This is simply not true. Here, I outline six aspects of the prequels that were downright awesome.

1. Duel of Fates

Come on, who doesn’t love this song? This is some of the most epic music ever put on film and definitely suits the beautiful scenery of the Naboo Palace in Theed. The Phantom Menace is, in my opinion, the second worst movie in the whole series, but the Duel of Fates might be my second favorite lightsaber duel in the saga.

2. Palpatine

Chancellor/Emperor/Sheev (yeah, that’s his real name) is easily my favorite character in Star Wars, and I think the prequel trilogy did an excellent job explaining the Emperor’s backstory, something the originals never did.

Ian McDiarmid reprises his role as the haunting, creepy Emperor and is every bit as convincing as he was in 1983. McDiarmid perfectly embodies the evil genius who was able to coerce the Senate into giving him immense power that eventually dissolved the space government.

Say what you want about the Star Wars prequels, but Palpatine’s progression through the three movies is an undoubted bright spot in the Star Wars canon.

3. Ewan McGregor

How could this not be on the list? Ewan McGregor, like McDiarmid with Palpatine, perfectly embodies his character and is easily the best new casting choice of the whole prequel trilogy. By just looking at McGregor, one would believe that he was the younger version of Ben Kenobi. I don’t know what needs to occur to get McGregor on for the Obi-Wan anthology film, but it needs to happen. Needs to.

4. Lightsaber duels

While I prefer the emotional struggle between characters dueling in the original trilogy, the fight choreography vastly improved in terms of flash, and visuals were definitely turned up for the technological advancements for the age.

Yes, I still think the duel between Luke and Vader is the best in the whole series, but man, Duel of Fates, Obi vs Ani, Yoda vs Palpatine? Those were all amazing duels that I enjoy watching time and time again.

5. Order 66

While some Star Wars fans view the prequels as an emotionless, tone-deaf set of films, I feel like the Order 66 scene is one of the most emotional in the whole canon. Seeing the execution of each of the Jedi attempting to defend themselves against the soldiers who they thought were fighting with them is heart wrenching.

The shot then cuts to Yoda who grabs his heart, instantly feeling that something terribly dark and wrong has occurred. Great scene, and one of the most emotionally affecting in the series. (But WHY did the younglings thing have to happen? Overkill.)

6. A likable villain in each film

Think about it! Darth Maul, while he had almost no lines and a small amount of screen time, is a fan favorite. His cool face paint, exotic look, and awesome saber staff all added to his cool factor.

In Episode 2, Count Dooku was played by the late Christopher Lee, who was obviously drawing some inspiration from his earlier roles as Count Dracula. See what I did there? I feel that Dooku is a very underrated villain, even going toe to toe with Yoda.

Then, we finally have the Emperor himself who is the best villain of the whole trilogy for many reasons. The villains in the prequels were definitely top quality.