Great Grandparents
Family Friends

Great Grandparents

The biggest blessing...

40

Not many people can say they were fortunate enough to personally know their great grandparents, but I am one of the few. I am beyond blessed to say that I was able to have personal relationships with three of my great grandmothers and one of my great grandfathers, and for that I am truly grateful. In article I will write about the four great grandparents I had the opportunity to know and love. They each play a significant role in the person I am today and into the woman I am becoming.

The first one I will be writing about is my great grandma Anna, also known as GG. GG was the only great grandparent I personally knew on my father's side of the family. She was also the only one that lived where I grew up. When I was younger I use to love going to her house. GG always had something fun to do at her house whether it be arts and crafts, playing in her long backyard with multitudes of flowers, or playing with the many dolls that she had in her house. When I was very young it seemed like every time I left her house I would leave with one of her dolls. My favorite doll I received from her was one that had belonged to her mother. The doll was taller than me when I first received her and that was the coolest thing ever. When I was around eight or nine years old GG got a puppy and its name was Bitsy. I will always be thankful she got that dog. GG passed away when I was a freshman in high school, and Bitsy was still around so she came to live with my family. So even after GG was gone it was like we still had a part of her with us thanks to Bitsy.

The next great grandparent I will be writing about is my great grandma Rosemary, but everyone called her Mimi. Mimi was one of my great grandparents on my mothers side of the family. My Mimi was really something special, and not just to me but to every person she encountered. She lived about two hours away from where I grew up so I didn't see her as often but every time I did it was special. She was the great-grandparent I was closest to. She was always there when I needed words of wisdom, a shoulder to cry on, a good laugh, and she gave the world's best hugs. She lived on a huge farm so there was always something fun to do at her house. My fondest memories with Mimi would have to be at her beach house in Florida. The beach was Mim's happy place. We would stay two weeks with her every year during the summer together. I can remember walking the beach with her when I was really little and going back to the house and sitting on the porch watching the sunset. Mimi just recently passed away a few short months ago, and I am truly blessed to say she lived to see me graduate high school and start my first semester of college.

The next great grand parent is my great grandpa Donald, but we called him Donnie. Donnie was one of my mothers grandparents. He was an avid gardener, especially his roses. He loved playing any kind of card game, so almost everytime I was with him we would play a game of some sort. His smile was contagious and so was his laugh. Donnie had dentures so he would always take them out and it would gross me out, but eventually it became a family joke. He loved his family and his love was big. When I think of Donnie the first thing I think of is how he spoke, it was an older sounding voice and I can still hear him calling me sugar. He gave the best hugs when I would first arrive at his house and when I would leave. Donnie passed away right before my high school graduation.

Last but certainly not least is my great grandma Mary Lizabeth, we call her ML. ML is my last living great grandparent, so I treasure every moment I have with her. ML was married to Donnie who I just wrote about. She also loves cards and I guess you could call her a card shark. She'll let you figure out how to play the game, but once you've figured it out she goes all in. It amazes me how she can still remember so many songs from when she was younger. ML loves Garth Brooks and will sing every word to Friends in Low Places. She is such a tiny woman, I've probably been taller than her since I was around eleven years old. Mary Lizabeth moved to Alabama after Donnie died, so we don't get to see her as much as we wish we could. I think my favorite memory with her has to be my most recent when we surprised her in Alabama a few months ago.

Each of these special people played such an important role in my life and I'm so glad I was able to really get to know them. I love them all so much.