Thank You, Mom And Dad

Thank You, Mom And Dad

To the ones who were always there from day one (literally).
8752

A “parent" is defined as a person who is a caretaker of a child. But, you guys were so much more than that. Since it's hard for me to verbally tell you, here is my “thank you" and “I love you" in writing.

First, thank you for choosing to sacrifice your life, family, and friends in Korea by coming to America to provide me with a higher standard of living and education.

Thank you for encouraging me to accept my Korean heritage and for not cringing when you heard my Americanized accent when I spoke Korean.

Looking back, I honestly did so many things that I can't believe you patiently took and dealt with. I'm sorry for being angry with you for so many trivial, petty things. Thank you for being there to deal with my cranky attitude in the morning. Thank you for calling me out for being a brat, and I'm sorry for my stubbornness. When we got into fights, thank you for remembering how stubborn I am, for reaching out to me first, and for fixing our relationship again.

Thank you for taking care of me when I was sick, and I'm sorry for getting both of you sick in the process.

Thank you for all the late-night shifts you took to provide more for me. As I get older, I'm realizing how important money is, and I'm sorry for complaining when I didn't get what I wanted (basically, sorry for being a brat, again).

It's easy to believe that you guys will be here for the rest of my life, but as I see the wrinkles and the white hair, I am reminded that life on this earth is temporary and fleeting. I am reminded that there are not many more years left like this. However, I rest easy knowing that a better, pain-free life exists for us after this earthly life comes to an end.

Thank you, umma and appa. Thank you for being such amazing parents and for showing me what unconditional love looks like.