Let Me Remind You That Your Grandparents Are Still Cool

To Anyone Who Needs Reminding Of This, Your Grandparents Are Still Cool

Stop avoiding going to your Grandparents house just because it's always a game of 50 questions.

315

If you clicked on this, then there's a chance that you used to be exactly like me when it came to going to your grandparents' house or having them visit. At first, when you were little, you loved it. You knew that there would be an endless supply of treats for you to inhale at their house. Perhaps Grandma or Grandpa would always play with you until you got tired, they seemed to never get tired though. You were always sad when it was time for you or them to go, wishing you it would stay like this forever.

But then you got older and that all changed.

Now you always dread it, not wanting to be asked 50 questions about your personal life in fine detail. You didn't want to visit because you knew they would pinch your cheeks and then show you off to all their friends, who would then proceed to do the same. You know you're gonna be leaving with a sore and red face. There's also nothing to do anymore besides eat their goodies and watch TV on a television that's practically the size of a bread box. You complain that there's no wifi or that the cell service sucks. I mean how are you supposed to keep up your Snap streaks if you can't get a connection? You internally count the minutes until you can leave and go home. You also don't want them to visit because they'll stay too long and be all in your personal space. Visits to and from your grandparents aren't the same anymore.

And the problem isn't them, it's you.

I haven't written this article to insult you or to put you down. In fact, if what I described above isn't your view on going to visit your grandparents or having them visit you, then this article isn't for you. This article is for those of you who don't want to see your grandparents because it isn't "cool" for you anymore. I get it because I was once like that too. But that all changed as I got older. I realized that the one thing that brought my Grandma immense happiness was seeing me.

I was her reason for joy and happiness.

My Grandma lost her husband in 2004 and has been alone since. I'm her only grandchild that she has a relationship with and she's the only grandparent I have left. I realized as I got older, the reason my Grandma asks me so many questions about my life is because she cares about me. She wants me to be happy and healthy. She would give her life for me. Me not wanting her to visit just because I didn't want to be bothered was completely selfish. And while she may not have all the cool technology and wifi I have at my house, we still manage to find fun things to do at her house without the use of the internet.

Don't take your grandparents for granted.

You don't know when their last day on earth will be. We don't have the promise of tomorrow. Don't put your grandparents on the back burner just because you're getting older and think they aren't cool anymore. They're still cool, what's not cool is acting like your feelings are on a higher priority than theirs. Call your grandparents today and tell them you love them, you never know, it may be the last time you will.