Exit Thoughts of a Graduate

Exit Thoughts of a Graduate

Walking Campus for The Last Time

946
Exit Thoughts of a Graduate

Talking about my experience at UNCP as I walked across the graduation stage:

On December 15th, 2018, a young graduate by the name of "Ayla" walked across a stage to receive her diploma. It was than she knew that all those people she met might not be a part of her life moving forward. The past two years flash across her eyes, reminding her of how wonderful college has been despite the difficulties. I am that young graduate, I walked across that stage. Pembroke has some of the most wonderful teachers I have ever met, and I can definitely say that I hope to meet them all again later in life. People will say that college is a waste of time, that it costs too much money and that you will never use half the things you learn. Others will think that college is the best thing that has ever happened to them.

College changed me, yes, it is expensive. However, it has never been a waste of my time nor have the things I learned been for nothing. I learned more than just basic topics for my major, I learned life skills that I still use today, those teachers have taught me valuable lessons that I cannot forget even if I tried. I consider them dear friends of mine that push me to achieve greatness wherever I go. When I could feel myself at the end of that rope, my teachers reminded me that all I had to do was call and ask them. A dear teacher I know, on the day I graduated, gifted me a present and I could see in their eyes that they will miss me there. It broke my heart that I was leaving them. I think back to all I have been taught, it fills me with joy thinking of those long conversations I would have with those teachers as well as the connections I made with the students I encountered. I was asked the day before I graduated what I would tell future graduates that will come after me. I had no idea what to say. The only thing that came to mind was to pursue your passions and to never shy away from making as many connections to people as you could. people always have something cheesy or witty to say as words of wisdom. I have no such words to bestow on the future generations to come after me. The only piece of wisdom I can think to give is that life and college are so similar that its astounding. in College you must talk to others, work together, eat, sleep, study, pay phone bills, etc. In life, a lot of those factors stay the same. As a functioning adult you must eat, sleep, talk to others, work with others, pay bills, and in some cases, you must study material for the next work day.

So.... Future graduates; Don't fear the future or what it may bring. Don't fear the unknown or it's mysteries. Look at the dark mysterious future and charge forward with a battle cry with people fighting alongside you. The way will be brighten with your courage to embrace that unknown future.

Sincerely,

Words of a Graduate