Graduating Seniors

Graduating Seniors

7

The 2013/2014 Auburn University school year is almost over. It has had ups and downs and people who have come full circle.May marks a month when people have finished their four years of college (or five, or six) and are ready to get thrown into the real world to see what their college education can give back to them. For some, business connections, a specific growing job market or a previous internship will jump-start their future. For others, Auburn boasts a 70 percent job placement rate six months after graduation, and 90 percent of graduates obtain a job within one year, according to colleges.com.Here is a look back at some of Auburn’s milestones that seniors got to witness during their final year. 1. The best year-by-year turnaround in college football. Perhaps the most memorable college experience for an Auburn student. The class of 2014 was bookended by two spectacular years in Auburn football. They got to witness the first National Championship in 60 years as freshman, a slight hangover from losing Cam Newton and the rest of the seniors, arguably the worst year in Auburn football, and finally a return to glory under Gus Malzahn’s watch. All aspects of those four years will be talked about for years to come.
2. The revitalization of the city of Auburn. Okay, this one isn’t completed yet. Sure, the best is yet to come, but a plethora of new bars and restaurants have jumped on the scene. Part of this is attributed to Forbes ranking Auburn among the top places to start a business, but I like to think that it is because the Auburn students have created an insatiable demand for quality food and entertainment. Businesses like Acre, Tiziki’s and the Auburn-Opelika area’s first brewery, Red Clay Brewing Company, have added new options.
3. Hiring a new media and student friendly head basketball coach. Bruce Pearl is everywhere. He also brought along Auburn legend, Chuck Person. Since arriving by jet to a rowdy crowd of students, then giving a press conference in The Jungle that brought more energy than any basketball game this past season, he has been busy. He got in a dunk tank on the concourse, donated $100 to Pi Kappa Phi’s charity, Push America, threw the first pitch at a baseball game and is changing the atmosphere of Auburn basketball; all without starting his recruiting process, yet. The list goes on. Auburn is constantly breaking milestones and making alumni (and soon to be future alumni) proud. They also get to celebrate with eight-time Mascot National Championship winner, Aubie. Reflecting on their past college years and looking forward to their future, the time that the class of 2014 spent on Auburn’s campus will be hard to match in the real world.