Accepted into grad school means I'm not leaving yet, Chicago
Education

I'm Here To Stay, Chicago

I thank DePaul University and my lucky stars for the chance to stay.

126
I'm Here To Stay, Chicago

I graduated from DePaul last year with a BA in Public Relations and Advertising. During my undergraduate career, the advice of one professor stuck with me: to get some 'real world' experience before going back to graduate school because so you're able to bring your experiences into the classroom. I knew I wanted to go back to grad school at some point, but my original plan was two to three years down the line.

But, as usual, life didn't go as planned.

I was fortunate enough to receive one year of OPT (Optional Practical Training), a program that allows international students to work for up to one year in the US after graduating. I was lucky to land my dream internship, working as the social media manager for a national non-profit working to end youth homelessness across the country. I grew so much in this position and learned about myself in ways I couldn't have imagined.

However, one hurdle I couldn't overcome as I looked for permanent work, was sponsorship for working past the expiration of my OPT. As I was nearing the reality of not being able to stay, I felt a great deal of anxiety over the future and what it would hold for me. I was torn between having to leave the US to live in Canada or staying to pursue a master's degree. I chose the latter after meeting with a professor I admired, who pushed me to enroll. It was the best decision I have made in a long time.

Tuesday, June 4, 2019, will go down as one of my happiest days ever. It was the day I received my letter of acceptance to the MA in Public Relations and Advertising program at the College of Communication.

As I write my intent to enroll email to the office of Graduate Admission, I am filled with a mix of emotions. I am excited for this new chapter in my academic life, thrilled to continue living in Chicago, but nervous for the challenges I will face. I know that graduate school will for sure kick my butt, but I am so ready to spearhead the journey ahead.

I'm officially a Double Demon and Chicago won't be getting rid of me anytime soon.