How Is The Government Shutdown Harming National Parks?
Politics

The Government Shutdown Is Bad For Everything, Especially Our National Parks

The government shutdown needs to end NOW.

235
https://www.pexels.com/photo/blue-sky-canyon-cliff-clouds-545964/

As you've probably already heard, the current government shutdown is the longest shutdown in United States history. Should we add that to the long list of ways Trump is apparently making America great again?

If anything, I think the shutdown proves for what feels like the trillionth time that Trump doesn't care about immigrants, government workers, or even our national parks. But at least you can say he does care about sticking to his promises, considering this shutdown started as an immature ultimatum to get the wall built.

But let's back up a second and talk about those national parks. How is the shutdown affecting national parks?

Because our national parks are generally funded the government and are overseen by government workers, many national parks have had to completely close during this shutdown. Yes, this is sad because it means that if you happen to be on vacation at the moment you may not be able to see some of nature's most beautiful places, but shutting down our parks has other negative affects.

For one, not having anyone at parks can leave people in danger. People are still choosing to go to our national parks, even trespassing on property that has been blocked off, with no one to keep track of them or help in the case of a search-and-rescue. The closing of our national parks has also led to human-waste issues due to toilets and garbage cans being closed. And, of course, for anyone who works at a national park, the government shutdown is devastating news because it is taking them away from a job they love and from a paycheck they need to survive.

But, one of the main issues is the negative impact seen on wildlife during government shutdowns. With no workers to keep an eye on visitors, there's a lack of respect being shown for the wildlife in our national parks, leading us further down a path of no return when it comes to saving our planet.