How America sees women

So, The US Government Clearly Doesn't Care About Women

I'm scared for the future, no lie.

110

I'm sorry I'm late because I've personally been processing this whole Brett Kavanaugh situation and boy, it sucks being a woman right about now.

I personally try to keep my political opinions to myself, not because I'm scared to share them but because I choose to play my part as a US citizen in times that matter i.e. I vote.

This past week has been hard and upsetting. Having to watch America's leaders listen to court testimonies from Dr. Christine Blasey Ford against Brett Kavanaugh. Then having to read the news titled "Brett Kavanaugh Confirmed" even though this man was accused by Dr.Ford and two other women.

Let me repeat that for you: a man who has been accused of sexually assaulting women is going to be in a position of power; the Supreme effin Court, guys.

I just had to take a moment to really take in the fact that as long as I'm a woman, whether my claims are true or not, no one is going to listen.

First off, I'd like to thank Dr. Ford for being so brave. Before I even listened to your testimony, someone had asked me "why did she take so long to come out to the public to speak?" my answer was "because she probably felt that it was her responsibility to speak up; her abuser was going to be in a position of power. How could she let that happen." The next day I listened to your testimony and I cried with you. I believe you.

As a woman living in the United States, I know I have a lot of privileges that many other women around the world don't have. I am able to speak up, protest, vote, express myself in every way I can think of and I am thankful for that. However, after observing all this debate circulating Ford vs Kavanaugh I realized that no matter what we do, we'll be criticized either way.
It sucks being a woman in this situation because no matter what you do you're at a disadvantage and anything discredits you.

"Why didn't you tell someone sooner?"

"Your story isn't straight."

"You don't remember?"

"What were you wearing?"

I hate being the person who goes "It's scientifically proven..." but I will be right now. It's scientifically proven that trauma has effects on the brain and effects the person in so many different ways physically and mentally.

If I tell someone I was raped, I'm criticized for what I wore. If I tell someone I was raped a month ago, apparently, I'm slow and took way too long. If I act as nothing had happened, I'm fine and no one should worry.

No. No. No and No.

I was so angered this week because apparently the effects of trauma (which is scientifically proven that is real) discredit my truth as well.

"She's not thinking straight."

The US Government doesn't care about women because not only have they sworn in Brett Kavanaugh but literally, our president is a p*ssy grabber. By doing this the government is making a statement that the mistreatment of women is considered ok and abusers are easily able to get away.