"Gourmet Makes" Web Series Teaches You To Cook Favorite Food

'Gourmet Makes' Teaches Your How to Make All Your Favorite Junk Foods From Scratch

HOMEMADE KIT KATS, PEOPLE!

32
c1.staticflickr.com
Flickr

Now, I might spend a lot of time during finals week procrastinating, but at least I'm procrastinating in a way that allows me to gain new skills; after all, even if I'm not studying for my grammar exam, can you really say I've been lazy if I've learned how to make homemade Skittles? Because I did! Welcome to the world of "Gourmet Makes", a web series produced by "Bon Appétit" and hosted by senior food editor (dream job!) Claire Saffitz.

Basically, the web series follows Claire's attempts to cook such childhood junk-food favorites as Twinkies, Skittles, Kit-Kats, and Lucky Charms, only all the cooking goes down in the Bon Appétit test kitchen instead of in a factory. Condensed into a tidy twenty-minute video, Claire's trials and triumphs in cooking up viable alternatives to factory-produced candies is amazing to watch, as is her expertise in all things food. Part science experiment, part nostalgia trip, and part hunger-inducing foodie show, "Gourmet Makes" takes all the best parts of cooking a new food and gets rid of the part where you accidentally dump flour all over your dog (which, admittedly, I've done before. It's not easy to clean up!) The show itself is really well-edited and funny, with a rotating cast of co-workers who pop in and out to encourage and gently criticize Claire's cooking in equal turn, a process that eventually achieves the unimaginable: making a homemade sweet treat that's just as delicious as the original.

There are currently six episodes of "Gourmet Kitchen" on "Bon Appétit", though the series promises to continue due to its sheer popularity. A fair warning, though: don't watch the show while hungry!