9 Gorillaz Songs For Every Situation

9 Gorillaz Songs For Every Situation

Whether you're sad or no longer inhabiting your physical form, Gorillaz has a song for you.

3158
9 Gorillaz Songs For Every Situation
Gorillaz

The virtual band Gorillaz are renowned for their unique approach to music. It is impossible to pin the band down to a single genre, and each album sounds like a dozen different artists contributing to something that somehow becomes a cohesive whole.

Gorillaz presents a myriad of sounds ranging from hip-hop to rap, and folk to orchestral, and featuring guests from Snoop Dogg to Lou Reed. Such a diverse collection makes it easy to find a Gorillaz song for every mood, and for every situation. In the middle of Gorillaz’s Humanz Tour (celebrating their recent album’s release) feels like the perfect time to showcase some of these songs.

1. "Feel Good Inc"

"Feel Good Inc" feels . . . well, good. You’d be hard-pressed to find someone unfamiliar with the angsty bass line and De La Soul’s charged rapping. It’s easy to see why it’s Gorillaz’s most popular song. Even within the song, we hear two extremes of Gorillaz’s sound; De La Soul’s “linin’ em up like asscracks” contrasts greatly with Noodle’s peaceful strumming bits. "Feel Good Inc" is a song that is impossible to hear without moving your body.

2. "Busted and Blue"

This song from Gorillaz’s newest album “Humanz” shows how diverse the band can be. Amid the high-energy party songs of “Humanz,” “Busted and Blue” is a relaxing change. The band must have done this intentionally, as “Busted and Blue” is the only song on the album that does not feature another artist. Featuring 2-D’s trademark subdued vocals and muted, ethereal synths, the song is the perfect companion for a rainy day. Whether you’re trying to escape, wallow, or simply slow down for a moment, “Busted and Blue” provides solace.

3. "Superfast Jellyfish"

Even without the breakfast-themed lyrics, “Superfast Jellyfish” is my soundtrack for a perfect morning. Gruff Rhys and De La Soul’s silly back-and-forth verses are the second-best thing to the smell of breakfast wafting to your bedroom, and 2-D’s cheery choruses are nothing different from the sun streaming through the window. If everyone woke up every morning feeling the way “Superfast Jellyfish” wants you to, the world would be a much better place.

4. "On Melancholy Hill"

“On Melancholy Hill” is the chill-est song I can imagine. It is similar to “Busted and Blue” in that it turns a few minutes into an eternity of relaxation, but it is different because its less of a downer. 2-D’s inviting lyrics and the uplifting melody blend perfectly to produce the soundtrack of bliss.

The droning background synths condition the listener to their presence, so that when the song ends, you are immediately shaken out of it by their absence. The way I see it, the song is saying “Melancholy Hill won’t be playing all the time, but everything’s gonna be alright anyway.” I acknowledge this sentiment by immediately playing the song again.

5. "We Got The Power"

This song was the soundtrack to my summer. Or rather, that first part of summer when school is just finishing up and anything feels possible. The chugging beat of this song mixed with Jehnny Beth’s optimistic lyrics always put me in a good mood. “We Got The Power” was one of the first five songs we got to hear from “Humanz,” and it gave me high hopes for the album and the approaching three months of freedom.

6. "Double Bass"

Sometimes, Gorillaz makes it hard to know how to feel. “Double Bass” isn’t happy, it isn’t sad, it's just . . . weird. It feels like riding the subway late at night. Maybe there are some strange figures on the subway with you. Maybe they’re looking at you. Maybe they’re not. You might be drunk, you might be sober. You’re not scared, but you’re definitely not at ease. All you’re focused on is getting to your destination. So, if you ever find yourself in this situation, just pop in your earbuds and play “Double Bass.” And . . . good luck, I guess.

7. "Empire Ants"

Have you ever been suspended in zero gravity repairing the outside of your space station when your grounding cable snaps and you are sent careening into the depths of the galaxy? Of course, you have, and if it ever happens again, be sure to play “Empire Ants” through your suit’s PA system. The song’s content first half is perfect for lazily floating through space, while the second half’s grandiose fits the idea of zooming through the vast space of space past the shapes and colors that inhabit it.

8. "Glitter Freeze"

We’ve all been there: your time machine dial breaks and you are trapped in a distant era when the culture and technology of humanity is all but unrecognizable to us. Luckily, most of those futures still have “Plastic Beach” CDs laying around, so you can pop one in whatever they use to play CDs and loop “Glitter Freeze.” The bizarre sirens and synths will help you become accustomed to the time you now call home.

9. "Out Of Body"

Next time you feel the itch to escape the constraints of the meat suit you inhabit through a séance with your best buds, consider adding “Out of Body” to your “Creepy Dance Ritual” playlist. It’s the perfect song for ghost dance parties in the Earth’s core. Kilo Kish’s delicate lyrics match the unusual beat in the best way, and makes dissociation particularly easy.

Sorry. Something happened near the end there. Anyway, my point still stands: Gorillaz has a song for every mood and situation. If you have any of your own, let me know on Twitter @sam_jirik. Or don’t. You’re in charge.