5 Reasons Why Goosebumps Scarred Me for Life

These things weren't meant for kids

23
Ryan Sippel

Goosebumps were a series of children's books designed to scare the pants off of you. Any person in their 20's could tell you about at least one of these stories that gave them nightmares, especially since most of them got adapted into TV episodes in the '90s and aired on TV and in the early 2000s. I watched every one of these episodes and read most of the books, and there were a couple of stories in particular that still have me scared to this day.

1. Chillogy

Pigs are terrifying to me. I think this episode is the main reason why. Basically what happens is this girl gets transported to a fake town where she's transformed into a pig/human hybrid. She gets chased by the town folk through the village square. This is HORRIFYING.

2. Go Eat Worms!

Ryan Sippel

I know what you're thinking. Worms are creepy, slithering little monsters right? Well right, but WRONG! The ending of this episode has our main character gets dragged into a lake by a gigantic fish. I've always been a little creeped out by fish. It's something about their eyes like they see me but don't recognize me. The idea of a giant one gave me nightmares for weeks as a kid. Some people are afraid of the ocean because of Jaws, I have Go Eat Worms!

3. The Werewolf of Fever Swamp

Ryan Sippel

This one is a fan favorite. I watched this one with some college friends this year and I have to say, I love it, even though it gave me nightmares for a month. There's this scene at the end where the main kid is being stalked through the woods by a werewolf. Then later, we see the wolf rising from the swamp. I haven't stepped foot in the woods alone ever since.

4. The Horror at Camp Jellyjam

Ryan Sippel

This one is a doozy. Basically, the gist is that these kids are all attending a summer camp where they earn medals for being athletic. When you get a specific number of medals, you're kidnapped and forced to serve this giant slug sort of creature. Children must clean the beast at all times due to their horrific smell. Kids who don't fall in line will be eaten by the monster. I have never and will never go to a campground.

5. Let's Get Invisible!

Ryan Sippel

Imagine having an evil twin. A perfect copy of you that longs to take over your life. This episode has that be the twist towards the end of the story. To this day, I can't look in the mirror without expecting an unfeeling version of myself to look back at me and wink.