A Goodbye To My Sophomore Year

A Goodbye To My Sophomore Year

Half Way Point

125
A Goodbye To My Sophomore Year
Kelsey McPhee

Flashback almost two years ago.

My car was packed with my life and more. Tears fell as I said goodbye to my dog and my brother and sister. My house became a small spec in the rearview mirror as I left what once was my whole world, and watch it become just a part of my world.

I did not know what college would bring. I was excited and terrified all at the same time. I did not know how my life was going to change and in what ways.

All of that feels like it was two days ago. But flash forward almost two years from then–now.

I look back at that time and it boggles my mind to think of how much my life has changed. My sophomore year has just ended and I could never have dreamed of the life I have now. The friends I have made, the experiences I have gained has only made me grow as a person.

This year has been a roller coaster in itself.

To my old friends–it's only been two years and you have become my people. I can't thank each and every one of you enough for the support and love I have received in our friendships. You know my ups and my downs. I am so lucky to have found you as my college family. I have found people that I know will be a part of my life, for the rest of my life.

To my new friends–To think that there was a life without you is hard to believe. A new year brought new friends, and I can't be more thankful for that. I thought going into this year that I had all of the friends I needed. Little did I know there was a space in my heart that needed to be filled.

To my professors–Thank you for educating me and furthering me in my career. Thank you for listening when I was stressed and pushing me to be the best teacher I could be. Although I still have two years left, I feel prepared for the world I am going to enter.

To my experiences–When saying goodbye to some things from freshman year, I wanted to say hello to new ones. I wanted to get more involved in a community that means so much to me. I started taking part in things like writing for the Odyssey which gives me a chance to write about my own life and opinions each week and share them with the world. All who were a part of these experiences come together to create my sophomore year, one far more unique and different than the year before.

To my school–My home away from home. Another year spent by the beach. Another year spent with not just a college, but a community. Another year spent with the comfort of knowing I am safe and where I am supposed to be.

To my family–Your support means everything. I can't believe that just two years ago I was crying leaving you all behind and now I itch for you to visit my second home. While it's hard to call somewhere else "home" without you in it, I wouldn't be able to thrive the way I am without you just 71 short miles away. Get ready, I'm coming home!

The experiences and people that made this year so special have shaped the life that has come about for me. Each year is bringing new pieces of the puzzle to create me.

And to think I am only halfway through...