Welcome, First Day of Spring And Goodbye Seasonal Depression

Spring Is Finally Here, And Thankfully, The End Of Seasonal Depression Is Soon To Follow

It's about time...

43
Reilly Marzen

Even though it is still a bit chilly outside, there is nothing nicer than the first day of spring. There's something about being one step closer to warm weather, longer days of sunshine, and summer break that puts everyone in a good mood. The spring equinox is the beginning of the end but in a good way. After the first day of spring, it's just a short time later when the skies are bluer, birds are chirping, and everyone's mood is boosted.

Seasonal depression is real, guys. I'm not kidding when I say that warm weather makes me much happier than dreary skies, cold wind chills, and nighttime coming at 6 p.m. When the temperature outside is too cold and dreary, I know that I never feel like leaving my apartment, let alone socialize with people and do fun things. This is true for a lot of other people as well. In the past two winters I have spent on campus, I have noticed that while there is still stuff going on, there is still way less excitement on campus and even among individual people.

Warm weather honestly is just better for us. Even on those random 75 degree days in February, everyone is so much happier. I remember this past February when we had a t-shirt and shorts day, I saw people outside everywhere: doing homework on the grass, eating ice cream outside, more and more people saying hi to each other in passing. As cliché as it may sound, a community is much more lively and pleasant when the weather is warm and sunny.

Now, unfortunately, it always does take a couple of weeks for the nicer weather to kick in after the first day of spring. There isn't a big BOOM, and then all of a sudden the weather shifts from 55 to 75 overnight. But the first day of Spring is a step in the right direction. It takes some time for the excitement to build up and the more positive attitudes to emerge. So, for those of you who need that warm weather as a mood booster after a chilly winter, keep hanging on, because true spring filled with sunshine and happy people is right around the corner.