A Goodbye To My Freshman Dorm Room

A Goodbye To My Freshman Dorm Room

Thanks for the memories.
10949

In August, I left home, but that's exactly what you have become. For nine months, I have found refuge in you. Now it's time to leave.

I'm surprised how sad I am to leave my small dorm room. When I first moved in, I thought to myself, 'This feels cold.' Now, my small dorm room is anything but cold. It is cozy and where I feel safe. It's become normal for me to call it 'home.' Most of all, it's where my freshman year began. It's also where it will end.

When I first moved in, I felt sad sitting alone in the foreign room after my family left. Now, although I'll be happy to spend time with family and move into an apartment, a part of me will stay behind in this place I once called home.

For many, a dorm is just a dorm, but for me, it has been a place of memories that will last a lifetime.

Moving in with a random person is scary. I was so nervous to live with someone I didn't know, but I definitely hit the roommate jackpot. When you find a friend in your roommate, you find someone to stay up to all hours of the night talking with about anything and everything. You find someone to watch the shows you love with. You find someone to order Chinese food with when you're too lazy to leave your room. Most of all, you find a best friend.

I dread the day that I move out of my dorm. It will be like (literally) closing the door on a chapter of my life - my freshman year of college.

No matter how much you are dreading living in a dorm, try to love every second of it. Live for these moments. The days spent in your dorm room will be the days you tell stories about someday. These days will be days you'll remember for years to come; days you'll look back on with a smile.

SEE ALSO: To The Freshman Who Will Live In My Dorm Room Next Year

To the people who move into my dorm after I leave, I hope it treats you as well as it did me. Those four walls hold so many memories- memories that I hope you get to make for yourself as well.

Farewell to the first place I lived without my parents. Farewell to my home away from home. Farewell to my freshman year dorm room. Thanks for the memories.