5 Books You Should Check Out This Summer

Need something good to read? No problem.

3
Hampton Artistic Yarns: Beach Reading

Need some book recommendations? That's easy. Just because it's summer, that doesn't mean that you have to work all the time and forget how to read. As a college student, I believe it's important for students to read over the summer for two reasons: there's now spare time to actually read, and because it keeps our wits smart. The books range from classics to some great Young Adult and self-help books.

This Salvage Song by Victoria Schwab. This Young Adult novel tells the story of Kate and August. Kate's father rules half of the City; August's father rules on the other side. Kate is a human; August is a Suani, a type of monster that lives amongst the world. When Kate transfers to her 6th boarding school, August is assigned to keep an eye on her. They both learn that in order to survive in the monstrous world, they must stick together, finding friends in the unlikeliest of places.

Why read the book? The novel is relatively quick to read, filled with action, memorable characters, and a world that is well written. Also, it's sequel Our Dark Duet is coming out soon.

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg. The title is pretty self-explanatory. I'm personally going to read this book over the summer because I need to learn how to improve my habits. You don't need to be a business major to appreciate this book. Why purchase this book? Surprisingly, the book isn't that expensive. If you go into a bookstore and look at the business books, they're usually overpriced (sorry, but it's true). This book is an exception.

The Gunslinger (Dark Tower Series #1) by Stephen King. Surprise, folks! Not only is King one of the most efficient horror writers of the last couple decades, but he is also a great fiction writer. The novel is already made into a blockbuster film, so I'd suggest you read the book before the film comes out. Why read the book? The story is fast-paced, enchanting, greatly detailed, and can be difficult to put down at times.

Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur. I have seen this book all over social media. People are always posting poems from the book, or quoting lines nonstop. This book of poems tells tales about surviving, dealing with loss, heartbreak, and the F word: feminism.

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. This novel tells the story of Ove, an elderly man who lives a very strict life, and is suddenly disrupted when his new neighbors move in (and eventually flatten his mailbox, by accident). Filled with humor, cats, and unlikely friendship, A Man Called Ove is a heartwarming tale for all readers.

So there are a few books I recommend for the summer. What other books would you recommend?