I Don't Care How Progressive You Are, These 11 Characteristics Will Never Go Out Of Style

Focus on these 11 things and you'll be coasting through life.

209

I don't care how progressive you are. I don't care when you were born. I don't care about any of that. There are some values that will never go out of style.

1. Being on time

This one is important and it says a lot about you as a person. I get it, things happen. People are late. That's life. But when you are consistently late to everything, it says a lot about your character.

2. Dressing nicely

I will be the FIRST person to say that wearing athletic shorts and a tee is by far the best outfit ever. BUT, even when you wear laidback clothes, you can still look presentable (anything with holes in it, throw it out. Keep your hair somewhat presentable, etc.) If you do find yourself at a place where you need to dress up a bit, dress up. You do not, by any means, need to have expensive and glamorous clothes. But your clothes should be fitting to the situation.

3. Being able to hold a conversation with a complete stranger

Yes. Trust your gut and if someone makes you feel uncomfortable, don't talk to them. But you should have the soft skills to carry on a conversation with a stranger.

4. Your soft skills, in general, should be in tip top shape

Eye contact, conversational, time management, etc. All of these skills should be perfected by the time you walk away from college.

5. Knowing how to handle it when things don't go your way

Life sucks and is unfair. Things won't go your way at some point in your lifetime. It's how you deal with it that defines who you are.

6. Being able to take care of yourself

Mentally, physically, emotionally. Being able to take care of yourself will never go out of style.

7. Providing for yourself

I have never liked the idea of depending on someone else for my wellbeing and finances. Providing for yourself financially will always be on top of the list.

8. Paying bills on schedule

Yes, life happens and this isn't always possible. But, for the most part, striving to pay the bills on time is a huge component to living life.

9. Saving money

Going all out on extravagant material things and lavish experiences is a good thing in moderation. But it should never trump the place of saving your money.

10. Being responsible

Just being smart about things in general is always incredibly attractive. Don't drink and drive, don't have children you aren't prepared to take care of, etc.

11. Showing empathy

Showing kindness to others will take you a long way.