By Simply Having An Open Mind, As an Artist, You Can Change For The Better

Telling someone, “you’re just not looking at this the right way” can be counterproductive towards becoming a more successful artist.

48
By Simply Having An Open Mind,  As an Artist, You Can Change For The Better
Noah Mckinney

Whether it is the topic of knowledge, skill, or attitude, an artist or designer doesn't need anything other than an open mind.

As artists, we bring attention to what we do, and the knowledge we bring to the table is only what we've let our brains register. If one is stubborn and sticks, like glue, to what they already know, it becomes harder to grow as a person and as an artist. If you let go of your bias and learn things with a fresh mind, more can be retained. An open mind towards learning anything can broaden your views and help one expand on artistic concepts. Hearing and learning only what you want to is limiting your knowledge on topics can change the piece's effectiveness.

The extent of one’s knowledge can help produce art that shakes up and brings a new perspective towards problems that impede our society. Aside from textbook knowledge, an open mind towards learning new techniques is vital as well. If you have the resources to learn something as uncommon as glass blowing, it wouldn’t hurt to try it and see how it works. I believe that you should be open to trying new things even if you don’t see the benefits of it in the near future. By passing up opportunities to learn something new, reflects closed-mindedness which could limit how successful you can be as an artist.

Having an open mind towards using different skills is also an important aspect of any artist. This means to have the ambition to use any material, any experience, and taboos to your advantage. An open mind is a skill that can help an artist experiment how to push boundaries within themselves and their audience. My skillset was limited to 2-D drawings prior to my college program and because of that, I couldn't express myself as much or as effectively.

By having an open mind towards making sculptures, using the wood-shop, and using complicated cameras with green screens, I’ve become a more versatile artist, and so can you! As art students, we’re typically given a week or two to finish a piece. As an artist, this skill has subsidized my anxiety correlated with deadlines and has pushed how experimental and big I go with a project.

When you put some thought into it, an open mind is the most relevant when it comes to an artist’s attitude. When your art is being critiqued by either a class or a one-on-one meeting, it’s important to be accepting towards any form of feedback. Having a closed mindset that mimics thoughts like, “you’re just not looking at this the right way” can be counterproductive towards becoming a more successful artist. You’ve got to open yourself up to criticism. Often times it can be hard to see that your work isn’t where you desired after hours of creating.

However, understanding why someone is interpreting your art in a different manner and how you can alter your work for the better. Whether it's coming from an artist or non-artists any feedback about your work is important. Not everyone has the ability to think in the same creative patterns. See how you can develop your art so that it’s understood by different wavelengths. To understand what the public eye needs in order to register your work properly requires the mindset to listen.

Overall, if you try to be an open and more accepting person overall, you can easily step up your game and become a more successful artist!