It's God's Will

It's God's Will

What happens when His and our will's differ?

19
It's God's Will
Pexels Photography

"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Jesus Christ." - 1 Thessalonians 5:18

It is usually easy to tell what your parents want from you. They'll send you a text to remind you to go to the doctor, or they'll ask you to do the chores. The same can be said for the friends you surround yourself with. If they want to see you over the weekend, they will make plans with you that are easy to follow and often lots of fun.

But what about God? Why is it often so difficult to navigate what He wants from us? And worse, what happens when God's will lands us in situations that we have no idea how to handle?

God's will is such a complicated matter. How do we know that we are making the decisions He wants? What if we are exploring a career path that is not in His will or doing things that He does not approve of? This is something that I think about daily. Every night when I say my prayers, I make sure to incorporate "if it's in Your will" to every request that I make. This in and of itself can be a little bit scary. If, when I pray, I ask God to keep my family safe and healthy if it's in His will, doesn't that allow for the daunting idea that my family's good health may not be in His plan?

Sometimes when I start to worry about how God fits into my life, I have to give myself a reality check. As my Mom used to always say, "God knows every hair on your head". God already knows the trajectory of our entire lives. He knows what decisions we will make because He has written our story. So, it is important to keep Him at the forefront of every choice that you make. If you are thinking of God in all that you do, how can you go against his will? Instead of trying to work God into your life, focus on living the life he has designed to the best of your ability.

If you're worried about determining God's will in your own life, the Bible is a good place to start. Once you start to study and understand God's expectations, it is easier to open yourself up to His own plan for you. Be willing to follow His word and wishes, even if they lead to something unexpected. Keep in mind that God will always provide, even if it looks different from what you initially had in mind.

The biggest indication of God's will in my life is through my own personal successes and failures. If I start to explore a certain direction in life and am met with nothing but roadblocks and resistance at every turn, it's likely that God is communicating that I have made the wrong choice. Taking steps in one direction can help us see whether or not God affirms our efforts or wants to redirect us.

I think the biggest fear that we have as Christians is being asked by God to do something that we don't want to do or don't know how to do. We might realize that God intends for us to have a totally different career than what we want. We might think we have found our soulmate, only to have God take them away from us. Know that this is not God leading you down a different path. It's simply Him pointing you towards the life He has created for you.

Understand that God makes no mistakes. He knows what abilities and strengths that you have because He gave them to you. If you are experiencing what feels like a loss now, it is only because God is preparing you for something even better in the long run.

I know that God's will can be a tricky thing, and it is often pretty intimidating. Take comfort in the fact that God knows everything you are feeling and thinking, and He knows what is best for you no matter what. If you keep him in your heart and mind with all that you do, He will be there with you. The will of God will not take you where the grace of God will not protect you.

"God is my salvation, I will trust and I will not be afraid." -Isaiah 12:2