When God's Plans Don't Make Sense

When God's Plans Don't Make Sense

Thy will be done.

11993
Carissa Sawyer

When I started college, I thought I had my whole life planned out perfectly. I had just turned 18, joined a sorority and was finally living on my own. So much independence was a big change for me, and I took advantage of it by going out with friends as much as possible.

On Labor Day weekend, I got into someone's vehicle after a night of partying and was never the same. We were in a horrific car accident that totaled the truck (as you can see in the picture) and left me paralyzed from the waist down. Suddenly, all of the plans I had for my life were put on hold, and I couldn’t help but wonder why God would let something so terrible happen if He loved me. His plans don’t always make sense and that’s okay.

We live in a fast-paced world and expect answers within seconds (looking at you, Google). So when something happens in our lives that we just can’t comprehend and time goes on without explanation, we get frustrated. It’s easy to play into the idea that God isn’t listening when you cry out to Him simply because nothing has changed, which leads to further disappointment and anger.

The beautiful thing to remember is this: God wrecks your plans before your plans can wreck you. As Christians, it isn’t our job to make sense of everything that happens. It’s our job to trust in His greater plan and know that it all happens for a reason.

People like to say that the Lord gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers, and maybe that’s true. This is the thing… God never promised that life wouldn’t be hard. What He did promise is that He would always be with us, no matter what we go through. When you feel like your life is crashing down around you, find peace in the truth that God sees, hears and loves you more than you could ever imagine. Not a single day passes in which you are ever alone.

Have you ever considered that the struggle you’re facing might actually be an opportunity to strengthen your relationship with Him? Maybe God has been speaking to your heart, but you haven’t been ready to hear him until now. This change of plans could even be a way for you to connect to new people whom you would never have met otherwise.

I can’t tell you that you won’t wonder, “What if my plans had worked out the way I imagined them?” at least once. In fact, you'll probably wonder that a lot. However, I can tell you that none of it matters; the past is over and the future is waiting. God is holding you in the palm of His hand in every second, and His plans are there for a reason.

God himself said, “My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.” (2 Corinthians 12:9) When you feel broken inside and can’t find a single answer for why life happens the way it does, remember that verse. You may feel weak and alone, but God is using the pain to make you stronger.

Personally, my relationship with God is so much closer than it has ever been. Although this plan is different than the one I designed for myself, I find solace knowing that it is the path God has made for me. Is it hard most of the time? Definitely. If we didn’t see darkness at night, we would never appreciate the stars in the sky. Without pain and uncertainty in life, we would never experience pure joy and clarity.