God's Plan > Mine

God's Plan > Mine

When God says, "wait".
76

Do you trust me when my answer is wait?

Society gives us a clear perception of what our lives should look like. As soon as I got married, I was expected to have a baby, own a Pinterest-worthy house and drive a cute yet stylish SUV. So when I think about how I have now been married for over a year and the fact that I still have none of these things the world makes me feel like I am falling behind. But when I really and truly evaluate the reality of these things, I realize that I don’t want them – at least not now anyways. So why am I rushing my husband and myself to have these things, to obtain these ‘goals’? But most importantly, why am I rushing God?

“I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits, and in His word I put my hope.” Psalm 130:5

We have all rushed God at some point or another and if you haven’t, please lend me some of your patience. I mean, we even rush God in the simplest of ways. Maybe we rush Him by skimming through our devotionals in the morning because we’re running late. Maybe we rush Him by counting down the minutes in church because we need to go grocery shopping. Maybe it is even just saying a three worded prayer because we think that our lives are that hectic, when in reality they’re not. So why do we do it?

I believe that we rush God because as humans we want things right now, we don’t want to wait. We have a plan that is perfectly laid out of how we want our lives to be. However, often times God asks us to wait. Psalm 37:7 states, “Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him.” In reality, our future isn’t up to us. Sure, we can do things that will affect our future such as obtaining a college degree, getting married or having children. But these things still come from God and only happen because they are given by His will. However, when we’re in the midst of planning our lives, we need to remember that God always gives His best to those who leave the choice with Him.

“Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from Him.” Psalm 62:5

When we begin to rush God we are trading an overwhelmed life for an underwhelmed soul. God provides us with a hope for the future once we put our lives into His hands. God takes our stress, our worries, our craziness that life has given us and provides us with a satisfying and ongoing sense of purpose and peace. God has written each and every one of our stories from beginning to end. Isn’t that beautiful? Therefore, as stated in 2 Corinthians 5:7, “I will walk by faith even when I cannot see,” because we live by faith and not by sight.