No Matter What You've Done, God Loves You Anyways
Education

You Are Chosen, Not Qualified, And God Loves You Anyways

When you feel insecure, remember WHOSE you are not WHO you are.

122
girls in a group

Avery Owens

While working at camp this summer, I was often faced with many insecurities.

Daily, I did not feel worthy of sharing the gospel, and most days I did not feel qualified to serve my precious campers.

At first, I allowed this mindset to put me in a state of fear and anxiety. Then, the Lord showed me some things.

1. I will never be good enough to earn God's grace

I realized that this new insecurity of sharing the gospel at camp was a result of a much deeper insecurity. I have trouble accepting God's grace. I can not wrap my mind around the concept of His great love. Why would He die for me? Why does He daily show me unconditional and undeserving love? These are questions I will never be able to truly understand. The best answer that the Bible gives me is His vast love. I did nothing to earn my salvation -- my righteousness before God is solely a result of Christ's work on the cross. We can not earn His salvation by reading our Bibles, doing good deeds, or attending church. It is believing in Him and accepting Him into our lives. Such a simple action has everlasting effects.

2. Because I did nothing to earn God's grace, I will never have to prove myself to Him

The foundation of our relationship with Christ is the cross. That foundation is so sure and so steady. We never have to fear of it collapsing. In addition, we will never have to prove ourselves to God. Grace is where our relationship with Him begins, and is where it never ends.

As believers, we are called to share the good news of Christ. The story of the cross is the good news, and we are called to live it out in our lives. This looks like loving Christ and loving others well because He first loved us. As children of God, we are equipped with everything we need to live our lives for Him. All we have to do is turn to and depend on Him to provide. Therefore, we can never be qualified to serve Him or to share the gospel. We are chosen as children of God to do everything for His glory. He is the one who equips us and works through us since He was the one who chose us.

3. This good news should stir something inside of me! A desire to serve Him should be an overflow of my love for Him

Serving others and living for Christ should be the overflow of my love for Him. I should seek to become for like Him daily. I should align my intentions and actions with His heart. If I am truly living for Him, my life will bear good fruits. We are children of God and our lives should reflect just that. Once we allow Christ to make His home in us, we should walk a little taller and speak with more confidence. We are children of the king of the universe. That is pretty cool!! That should make us want to scream and jump for joy.

We were never qualified for this identity. We did nothing to deserve it. It was freely given to us because we are chosen by God. Wow! Once, I let this truth seek in at camp, I shared the gospel with a new excitement.