A debate about Ariana Grande's "God is a Woman".

Ariana Grande Doesn't Actually Mean God Is A Woman

Stop trying to create controversy when there is none.

248
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHLHSlExFis

The second Ariana Grande released the music video for her song "God is a Woman," the internet blew up. Youtube exploded with an array of covers, make-up inspired looks, but most of all, videos deciphering the meaning of her lyrics. The music video is nothing short of risqué, to say the least. One scene shows a woman's legs spreading outwards in a temple. Another shows her laying in a marble-colored bath resembling female genitalia. All along with these images, the viewer hears Ariana Grande singing the chorus: "You, you love it how I move you, you love it how I touch you. My one, when all is said and done, you'll believe God is a woman. And I, I feel it after midnight, a feeling that you can't fight. My one, it lingers when we're done, you'll believe God is a woman."

Though the meaning is not a biblical one, there are many references to different tales in varying religions. In one video released by JOLLY, a British priest reacted to her music video. During one shot of Grande, a three-headed dog is behind her. The priest points out that this is a reference to Hades' three-headed dog, Cerebus, who was meant to protect the underworld in Greek mythology. Furthermore, he points out her reciting a misquote of Ezekiel in the Bible when she chants, "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my sisters. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."

These references, along with her lyrics, make many viewers believe her to claim God is a woman. However, they misunderstand the true meaning of her song and the video -- it's about female empowerment. There is no literal meaning when she says "God is a woman", and is only drawing a comparison.

Though there are many references to religion, there are numerous references to female empowerment. There is a scene with Grande having a pregnant belly, symbolizing a woman's ability to create life. Furthermore, the famous painting by Michelangelo, "The Creation of Adam", is re-created by all females. When the bible verse is stated, she throws a gavel into a glass ceiling, shattering it, symbolizing how far women have come in the modern day. With all of these visuals, the meaning of her lyrics and music video are clear. Grande does not literally mean "God is a woman", but "I will make you worship me like God." On top of this meaning, she heavily emphasizes sexuality, especially female sexuality and empowerment, making a perfect music video to compliment her daring lyrics.