Is 'God Is A Woman' Controversial?

Is 'God Is A Woman' Controversial?

It's a love story in the end.

15
Is 'God Is A Woman' Controversial?
Vevo

Ariana Grande had finally released her New Album titled, "Sweetener". While this album was long awaited by many fans and wound up to be a huge success, one specific song titled, "God is a Woman", caused quite the uproar. "God is a Woman" was released as a single just a little bit before the album dropped. Although the song did do well and many fans enjoyed the single, many other people were not happy with the title, or what they thought was the initial meaning. Originally, the controversy surrounded with the name. Now, I am not offended by the title, but as a Catholic, I can see where the controversy stems from. The name of the song caused this upward because the figure that we all know as, "God" is a fatherly figure, meaning we know God as being a man. In return, some people believe that referring to God as a woman is extremely disrespectful. Next, the song was presumed to be just about sex and nothing else, which many songs in today's charts are clearly all about sex. However, having the word God in a song, God be portrayed as a womanly figure, and the song is influenced by sex is bound to start controversy.

My thoughts on this topic are that I just don't think that this song is controversial. Yes, I understand why there is controversy, but I just don't feel it. God is actually neither gender. God is not defined as either man or women; simply, God is God. God is giving the pronoun "he" because God is seen more as a fatherly figure, someone who watches over you. But, the same traits could be found in a motherly figure. Also, not one person on this earth knows exactly what gender God is, or if he even possesses one. It has been said that God also does not have a gender because he does not have a body. God is seen to be the creator of the world, not a person. Considering I am Catholic, I, myself refer to God with male pronouns. In reality, as far as we know he is genderless.

Now, let's talk about the meaning. Yes, the meaning circles around sex, but that's not all. The song also expresses woman empowerment. There's an argument out there that assumes that just because a song is based off sex means that it can also not empower women. My thought on this? Of course, a song about sex could empower women! Sex is powerful - the act of sharing your body - sharing an intense feeling with someone else! God is a Women is about so much more than sex. Ariana, herself stated that the song had been centered around sexual female empowerment. From my personal experience as a female (many other ladies would most likely agree with me), I was taught from society that having sex will make you a whore, or that a guy wouldn't respect you. Now, how ridiculous is this, come on! Everyone has sex at some point and it takes two to tango. Women should feel empowered by sex, not shunned for having it.

In the song, Ariana talks about how her partner, (who is easily assumed to be Pete Davidson), loves the way that she makes him feel. She also explores the unique concept of the universe being metaphorically inside her. It is assumed that her lyrics about the universe is conveying that she is what her partner needs, she is the women that will give him her all. This speaks volumes. God is a Women spreads female empowerment by showing how powerful one female could feel and because said female feels powerful so does her partner. It's a love story in the end.

"God is a Woman" may be still considered controversial. I understand that I really do, but there is so much meaning behind this song. It really shows how to people become one, sexually, or not. It shows a connection between two people. This song demonstrates a female who knows her power and who uses it with grace.