God Gave Me You Both

God Gave Me You Both

My Interpretation of Blake Shelton's "God Gave Me You"

196
God Gave Me You Both
Frank Huscha

Blake Shelton had written the song “God Gave Me You” back in 2011. Blake was writing about a girl and how much she meant to him, he thanked God for introducing them. However, in 2014, the meaning changed from being about a girl to being about my mom. My love for my mom is something so special that couldn’t ever be replaced. After she passed away, each time I hear this song, I think about her.

“God gave me you for the ups and downs, God gave me you for the days of doubt.” These lines really hit home for me, they were the promises that my mom made me. She always promised to be there, no matter what happened. Even though my mom is longer here in the physical world, I know she continues being there for me through my ups and downs. When I am doubting something, she is always there! She doesn’t ever leave my side. The lines “You stay here right beside me, watch as the storm blows through, and I need you”, hit home for me as well. Knowing that my mom will be there when I need her most makes it even more special. The love between a mother and a child is unconditional, she will always be protecting me from above.

Meanwhile, I also have a protector here on earth that my mom left in charge, my grandma. These lyrics also show how thankful I am for all my grandma has done for me. I know I have my ups and downs, but I also know that my grandma will always be there for me, no matter the circumstance. Before I had my Driver's License, my grandma would drive me everywhere I needed to be. Above all, when I need to cry, I know I have a shoulder to cry on. She is the person that is there for me each and every day. Our bond grows even stronger with every passing day.

When I listen to this song on the radio, I hear, “God Gave Me You Both for The Ups and Downs, God Gave Me You Both For the Days of Doubt.” Even though this song was written about one person, it reminds me to give thanks for both of the amazing women in my life. Until the day I die, I will continue to thank God for giving me these two amazing women.