God Calls Us To Be Salty

God Calls Us To Be Salty

Confused? Keep reading.
98

Last Sunday at church, my preacher was giving an interesting message out of Matthew Chapter 5. Over and over again, my preacher kept telling us to be salty. This really made me laugh a little because for anyone who doesn't know, the definition for "salty" that the millennial generation has come up with is to mean, "bitter, angry, or upset about something (Ex: He was salty because he lost the game)." So for my preacher to be telling me to be salty was rather amusing to me. But of course, we have the meaning all wrong (as we usually do).

Have Your Voice Heard: Become an Odyssey Creator

Verse 13 says, "You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot." Salt is created to preserve things and to add flavor. Spiritual salt is kind of the same thing. Eating potato chips or french fries without salt would not be a very enjoyable experience. If a seasoning has no flavor, it is pretty much pointless. The same goes for us! We are called by God to be the flavor and the preservation of the earth. This means that we must share the good news of Christ and add flavor to the lives around us. This is our job! If we as Christians make no effort to share the Gospel, what good are we? We are about as useful as that one guy at work who does absolutely nothing.

We must make an effort to effect the world around us. Everyone complains about how bad the world has gotten and how we must make a change, but how many people actually do something about it? Here's our chance! Christians should not blend in with the world, for we are not of this world. Instead, affect others in a positive way. So go ahead; be salty. Bring out the best in others just as seasoning brings out the best flavor in our food.