Go Ahead And Be A Homemaker

There are a lot of movements taking place in the world today. Women want to be independent, they want to break the mold set forth by generations past of being a homemaker. However, what women don't realize is that you can break the mold and be independent, while still being a homemaker.

Many people can confuse a homemaker with a housewife. A homemaker is someone who is in charge of the household and manages it. The misconceptions of a homemaker have created a stereotype regardless of the label. The stereotype that women can only be homemakers if they are housewives.

I want to be a homemaker, without having the stereotype of being a housewife thrusted on me. I still want to be a female in the work force who makes her own income, but I want my own house. One that I can decorate according to my Pinterest boards. One that I can fill with DIY projects that I spend my free time on. Being able to make a home that I want to come home to every day is very enticing. It's almost as enticing as the dream job I hope to have that will fuel the ideas spinning around in my head thanks to HGTV.

There can be a new breed of homemaker, and it's one that I aspire to be. I want to be the type of homemaker who makes her own money at work and then uses that money to fill her home with projects and amazing home-cooked meals.

Being able to cook meals, do crafts for my home, and make a place that I can truly call my own has been a dream that I hope to make reality. I was taught how to cook, sew, and build things from both my parents and my grandparents. Being taught all these things was a value instilled upon me from a young age and is something I hope to carry with me throughout life.

The point in all of this rambling is that it's okay to not want to break a stereotype. Women have come a long way since the days of being a housewife. We don't have to be seen in this light anymore by any means. But if we want to, we sure as hell can. We can do whatever we want. We can still be strong, independent women. But we can also take up the values instilled in us by past generations to put our knowledge and our hard work to good use. We can actually have to tools to create all the cute projects we find on our totally non-addictive social media sites. We can feed the new stereotype that women create their homes based on what we find on Pinterest or what we see on television. We can be the next generation of homemaker. The next generation of women--who break old stereotypes and create new ones.