Q&A: Glory Skincare's Founder On Beauty For And By Women Of Color

Alisia Ford Of Glory Skincare On Beyonce And Building A Beauty Empire For And By Women Of Color

She's been featured on Beyonce's site.

8255
Alisia Ford smiling, sitting on couch wearing satin pajamas
Glory Skincare

There are few brands that follow through on their founding mission like Glory Skincare. But when Founder Alisia Ford saw a gap in the market for products created for and by the unique skincare needs of women of color, she built her brand and hasn't stopped since.

The customer-centric community was built upon like-minded individuals with a passion for inclusive self-care, and it grew with Ford's passion for quality products. All products on the beauty commerce site prioritize women of color with a selection of products carefully curated by dermatologists and even chemists with specialties in skin of color.

Ford even works closely with psychiatrists to understand the very deep connection skin has on our mental health. Glory Skincare is her brainchild, but this is her story.

Glory Skincare

Storytelling is a big part of Glory Skincare as a brand. What is the story you hope to tell with it?

Glory is a brand that prioritizes women of color — our voices, our health, our lives —in order to create a larger beauty culture that is inclusive of every woman. Our product selection is chosen by dermatologists and chemists who specialize in skin of color. Plus, we work with psychiatrists who understand the deep connection between skin and mental health.

At Glory, we hope to create a space and community for women of color to prioritize their wellbeing so that we can all live well, feel well, and glow.

We believe that skincare should be created based on what women really want, not what some marketing executive decides for us. Our community informs what we make because they tell us what they need. Their thoughts, their needs, and their dreams are the real power behind our brand.

What has been your biggest challenge and highlight as a business owner?

The biggest challenge initially was building capital, as I was bootstrapping Glory. The highlight was that despite a global pandemic, we were able to raise investment funds.

Around that same time, we were also featured on Beyonce.com. It was quite a highlight in such a short time of kickstarting my business.

How much does coming from a marginalized community play into the way you conduct business on a day-to-day basis?

I saw a gap in the market for people like me, who were likely facing the same issues I did when trying to find clean products for my skin.

When it's clear that brands do not put women with melanin-rich skin at the forefront of product development, women of color are more likely to fall back on word-of-mouth for trusted product recommendations.

My goal with Glory is to carve out a safe space for women of color. On a day-to-day basis, that means being conscious of the types of images we use on our website and social media, being mindful of who and where we source products from and eventually developing clean products that women of color are actually looking for.

We're like the girlfriend next door who you know you can trust because we're in the same boat!

How do you feel social media and community building within it has changed the way you do business?

Our foundation is built on our community and being customer-centric, so we use social media and other platforms to communicate.

We really appreciate all the various ways we can interact and engage with our Glory community!

What advice do you give to budding entrepreneurs from minority backgrounds?

There is no better time than the present to build your business. Historically, leading consumer brands and startups started in times of financial uncertainty and market instability.

So, I say to my fellow budding entrepreneurs, keep going after your dreams. What I've learned thus far, is the team you build is so important, and it can truly make or break your business.

What can we expect from the future of Glory Skincare?

We are currently in product development, and we plan to launch our own line of skincare products in 2021.

Glory Skincare

Rapid Fire

What are your favorite accounts to follow on social media?

I love to use social media as a tool to inspire and be inspired, so following women, leaders, and self-care that allow me to stay in that space really helps. Some accounts I love are: @damarislewis, @25_bwb, @kelawalker, @dream_casa, and @chillhouse

Tell us a book you'd recommend.

I'd highly recommend adding "More Than Enough" by Elaine Welteroth to your reading list!

What charities do you support?

Currently, I serve on the board of directors for the Period Movement. But I am also in full support of Union Rescue Mission and The Alexandria House.

What is the item in your closet you wear the most?

I have a pair of lounge pants that I practically live in! I'm wearing them right now, actually.

What is on your nightstand?

My tortoiseshell Prada eyeglasses, my AirPods, pen, notepad, and a glass of water from last night.

Odyssey may earn a portion of purchases made via links on this page.