Why You Should Attend A Steubenville Conference

Its not just a conference, but a turning point in your life.

203
Saintvdp

Imagine this: One moment, over 2000 teenagers are gathered together under neon lights, singing and dancing along with a live band consisting of the electric guitar, bass, drums and even the saxophone while inflatable beach balls are being tossed around the crowd. This scene looks identical to any normal secular concert.

The next moment, however, not one sound can be heard from these same teenagers, as they kneel reverently before the Blessed Sacrament, arms outstretched, completely in awe of the God who made them.

Such an event really exists, and it happens 24 times every summer in 18 different locations across North America. These are the Steubenville Youth Conferences. They are fun. They are electrifying. They are life-changing, and here’s why every teenager should check them out.

1. The Music and the Speakers

For much of the world, the words “fun Catholic” appear to be an oxymoron. Catholics are strict, constantly in prayer and are boring. They are anything but fun, or so the stereotype goes. The Steubenville Youth Conferences take this popular belief and flush it right down the toilet. Between the live band and energetic speakers, the conference is sure to be infused with fun. Extremely talented Catholic musicians like Bob Rice, Matt Maher and Ike Ndolo to name a few, perform both lively praise and worship music to get the teens on their feet and clapping, as well as more prayerful music when it comes time for Mass. Either way, everyone in that room feels something very tangible moving through and around them. Perhaps its best described as the joy of the Lord working through the Holy Spirit.

The speakers are also a huge part of what makes the conference so enjoyable. They are well known Catholic speakers each with very unique backgrounds, but all with one common purpose: to change the hearts and minds of the youth. During my first experience at the conference I remember being blown away by the willingness of the speakers to open up and lay everything out on the table. They made themselves completely vulnerable before a crowd of teenagers, retelling stories of their own problems with insecurity, sexual sin, broken families, and addiction. When the time was right though, they also knew how to lighten the moment, slipping into their comedian mode. Embarrassing stories about relationships gone awry and hilarious parodies are among some of the things that got us laughing aloud.

2. The People

For some teenagers, it may seem as though they are alone in their walk of faith. Their family may not be much support and it's taboo to mention anything about God at school. The Steubenville Conferences remind these teenagers and even the ones who may already have the support, that they will never be alone. Being surrounded by 2000 like-minded peers is a great witness to this truth and helps affirm the lost and lonely soul that they are apart of the universal Church, the Body of Christ. The Church is not only made up of the older generation of Church-goers, but this new generation of youth as well, and there is a good reason for it. Through His Church, Christ is offering us something the world cannot give and this radically different life is attracting people of all ages. The youth conference gives the opportunity to meet other people who are also striving to live a life for Christ.

3. The Change

It is almost entirely impossible to come back from the conference unchanged or unaffected in someway. The entire weekend culminates in a Mass followed by Adoration on Saturday night. This is the night that changes lives forever. I have experienced Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament many times before but never in the way that I did that night. The building becomes dark and the only light that can be seen is the spotlight shining on the consecrated host. Incense clouds the air. Everyone's hands are outstretched wide waiting for their personal encounter with Christ as the priest processes with the monstrance around every possible walkway and aisle in the building. People are healed emotionally, spiritually and physically. So much grace is poured out over everyone and it is from that grace that people discover their true identity as a son or daughter of God. Hearts are changed, relationships are mended and vocations are heard. Its no surprise that at least one in ten newly ordained priests and one in five religious sisters and nuns have gone to a Steubenville Youth Conference as a teenager according to this study by the Center for Applied Research on the Apostolate. The conference has a reverberating effect. All of the impacted teens are encouraged to bring what they have learned and experienced back home with them to share with the entire world, spreading the Gospel of Love.

The really brilliant thing about the Steubenville Conferences is that it doesn't have to end when you're a teenager. Now there are conferences held for young adults and adults that are structured to mold the growing maturity of the participants. The point is, whatever your age maybe, everyone is called to a deeper relationship with our God, and the Steubenville Conferences provide the foundation to grow. For more information, visit the website

or watch the video.