7 Struggles of Wearing Glasses: Seeing Life Through a Lense

7 Struggles Of Wearing Glasses: Seeing Life Through A Lens

Wearing glasses is an everyday struggle.

185

Imagine this: You've had a long day so you decide to go out with a few of your friends. In the middle of a conversation one of them says, "I love your glasses, can I try them on?" "Um, I guess," you say as you reluctantly take them off. For the next few minutes, your friends pass around your glasses giggling and taking pictures of themselves as you sit there not being able to see anything. As a glasses wearer of 11 years, this happens to me at least once a month. That's around 132 times in my life. (Yes, I counted.) Each time, I am never prepared. Here are just a few of the struggles you have if you wear glasses.

1. They're always dirty

No matter what, there will always be some sort of smudge, dust, or dirt on your glasses. You may be thinking, "Just wipe them off, duh." Most of the time, "Just wiping them off" pushes the dirt around or makes the smudge worse. Especially if you're wearing clothing made from material that doesn't allow you to wipe them off, like a dress. After a while you learn, no matter what you do, you can't do anything about it.

2. Rain can ruin your day

Most people already don't like the rain. Water falling from the sky ruining your hair and clothes. It's just not the ideal situation. But if you wear glasses, the rain is an actual nightmare. You go outside for one second and your way of seeing is obstructed by tiny water droplets that want to ruin your life. And as you can tell from above, when you try to clean them off it just smears and smudges your glasses.

3. Working out is painful in more then one way

Sweating and glasses don't mix. For most people, one of the first places you start sweating is your face. The more you sweat the more your glasses slowly fall down your nose. As you can imagine, this is unbelievably annoying. When you're trying to run, your glasses are the last thing you want to pay attention to.

4. If it's sunny, prepare to squint

For me, this is the worst part of having glasses. All my friends have cute sunglasses to wear and I'm being blinded by Mr. Golden Sun. By the end of summer, I've developed crow's feet.. as an 18-year-old. Don't even get me started on summer activities like amusement parks and pools.

5. Everyone steals them

Most of my friends don't wear glasses and their curiosity sometimes overwhelms them. This results in my glasses being passed around at the most inconvenient times. Everyone tells me that I'm blind or asks me how they look but as you may have noticed. I can't see without my glasses! And when I finally get them back.. they're covered in fingerprints.

6. People complain to you about their perfect vision

You'd think having 20/20 vision wouldn't be something to complain about, right? It's crazy how many times I've been talking to someone and they say, "your glasses are so cute! I wish I had glasses." And to that I want to say, no you definitely don't. As you have seen so far, having glasses is a pain and it blows me away that people want to have messes up vision. That's also why I can't help but roll my eyes at fake glasses.

7. Forget laying down

Laying down? That might seem like a simple task but with glasses it's a fight. They get smashed against the side of your face or they fall off. Long story short, you can forget about comfortably watching Netflix from your bed.

Those are just a few of the struggles of wearing glasses. They may seem small and unimportant to you but for us, this is our lives. 75% of people need vision correction so this is a slightly bigger deal than you think. Next time you see your friend that wears glasses please, please don't ask them to try them on. Thank you for listening to my rant and, if you're wondering, I am getting contacts soon.