Why I'm Glad I Rushed

Why I'm Glad I Rushed

I wasn't always completely on board, but I'll forever be grateful that I kept up with it.

244
Phoebe Velez

Anyone who knows me knows that I never intended on rushing. Not for any reason in particular; I just never saw myself fitting in the Greek scene. My mom was in a sorority in college, and my twin definitely intended on the following suit. Every day over winter break, I was asked whether or not I was planning on trying it out.

I'd had my heart set on another on-campus organization, a theatre organization, but had convinced myself that I was nowhere near good enough to actually join it. As the due-date to sign up for recruitment approached, I kept going back and forth on it.

I eventually made a decision - I'd try it out, but if by some miracle I got into the theatre organization, I would drop recruitment. In that case, I fully expected to stay in recruitment, as I'd thought there was no way in hell that I'd make it in.

The first few days were... interesting. A lot of synchronized clapping and singing, a lot of "trust the process!" and all that. I did, however, leave with a more positive opinion on everything that I had going into it. My friends and family back home, however, were all betting that I wouldn't make it through the process.

I ended up being very pleasantly surprised, in more ways than one.

I found out halfway through the recruitment process that apparently miracles do happen, and I'd made it into the theatre organization! But I then faced another decision - do I actually drop recruitment? I knew I was going to be busier than ever before, but in being so convinced that I wouldn't have to face this decision, I'd started warming up to the idea of staying.

I quickly realized that this was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Staying in gave me a support system, unlike anything I could've imagined. I now have a bunch of genuine, kind, funny, and overall badass women by my side, and I couldn't have asked for more.

My new member class was there for me no matter what - we've laughed together, cried together, you name it. Pretty much any other cheesy thing you've heard about how glad girls are that they're involved in Greek life, I've experienced it. Hell, I'm even living with TWO of them IN THE HOUSE next year (hi Maddy and Kallie!), and I can't wait to tear it up with her and pay forward the joy I've been given to the next group of girls.

My Big also happened to have gone through the same simultaneous rushing-and-theatre process the previous year, which was super helpful. When things were getting crazy, I had her by my side. I also had a bunch of other amazing girls in my sorority who took on both the rehearsal and new member processes, which was really reassuring.

And with that, I'm truly glad I stayed. I found through my sorority a group of girls that I can't wait to take on the rest of college with. I found a home, both metaphorically and physically. I found experiences unlike any other.

I proved myself wrong; I do fit in, after all.