I Unplugged For A Weekend, It Was Glorious

I went off the grid for a weekend and learned how dependent I really am on my phone.

85

I gave up my phone and social media for a weekend and it was bittersweet.

I thought it was going to be easier than it was. I turned off my phone at 6:00 Friday night and turned it back on at 6:00 Sunday night. Unplugging gave me the chance to spend quality time with myself. My eyes were opened to how much I use my phone for.

A few times over the weekend I wanted to look something up on my phone and I couldn't. One day I even went to use my calculator on my phone at the store and realized I didn't have it with me. The biggest thing I missed by not having my phone was the ability to talk to people. I usually talk to my boyfriend in the evenings and I didn't talk to him for the entire weekend which was nice in a way, but I did miss my go-to. I spent more time talking to my roommates as well.

When my roommates were home I talked to them and had the chance to have some good conversations. I also spent time with my mom Saturday shopping. It was nice to have lunch with her without the distraction of my phone. I spent more time listening to people and less time scrolling or texting other people. It showed me how distracted I am, typically. I also saw how many people walk around with their noses in their phones.

I also read, wrote and caught up on sewing. Usually, when I'm bored on the weekends I turn to my phone to entertain me. Instead, I gave some attention to the hobbies I've been neglecting. I read a book, wrote a little bit and sewed a lot. I get so caught up in technology it seems that I forget there are other ways to entertain myself. My hobbies are much more productive than mindlessly scrolling on social media.

However, I did cheat a little bit on Sunday because I used my computer to look up instructions for a skirt I was sewing.

By the evening Sunday, I was going out of my mind wanting to see what I had missed over the weekend. I wanted to know what my boyfriend had done and what he was up to. I also wanted to talk to my mom and some of my friends. When I finally did turn on my phone I realized I hadn't missed much and no one noticed I was off the grid except those I had told about it. I am going to try to take one weekend a month to turn my phone off and take time to catch up on myself. Overall, the experience was refreshing. I look forward to taking another weekend to myself.