5 Ways To Help Locals In Philadelphia This Holiday Season

As you continue crossing items off your Christmas shopping list, remember to consider how many people could use some extra help during the holiday season. Donating doesn't always mean spending a ridiculous amount of money or committing a lot of time that you don't have to an organization. There are so many ways to get involved that are reasonable in price and will make you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others. You can donate your time or items you already have and it will mean the world to those in need. Here are 5 ways you can give back locally in the Philadelphia area.

1. Philly AIDS Thrift

https://www.facebook.com/PhillyAIDSThrift/photos/a...

Proceeds from the Philly Aids Thrift shop are distributed to local AIDS organizations and help fund HIV testing. The store accepts used clothing, furniture, and home decor and sells it for discounted prices. Whether you're able to donate something and get some clutter off your hands or would like to stop in and purchase something yourself, this organization is a great way to ensure that your money is well-spent and used to help others.

2. One Warm Coat

https://www.facebook.com/OneWarmCoat/photos/a.4944...

One Warm Coat is a nation-wide non-profit organization committed to providing free, warm coats to individuals in need. The organization provides the resources needed to hold successful coat drives across the nation. Coats are distributed to people in need free of charge. Why not get rid of an old coat and give back to your community at the same time?

3. Philadelphia Reads

https://www.facebook.com/phillyreads/photos/a.2847...

The goal of Philadelphia Reads is to increase literacy in Philadelphia and encourage a love of reading. It matches organizations with children in need to provide year-long weekly tutoring and mentorship. It also holds a book bank in which donated books are given to educators so they can share them with their students.

4. Philadelphia Toys For Tots

https://philadelphia-pa.toysfortots.org/local-coor...

Toys for Tots seeks to provide toys to children in need during the holiday season. You can donate toys at one of the toy drop locations or even host a Toys for Tots event at your home. A small purchase can go a long way in bringing joy to the life of a child who experiences adversity.

5. Philabundance

https://www.facebook.com/Philabundance/photos/a.13...

Philabundance is the largest hunger-relief organization in the region. The organization accept food donations, both perishable and non-perishable, to be distributed to nearby individuals experiencing food insecurity. A small action or donation can go a long way in the life of someone who doesn't know where their next meal will come from.