Be Thankful

It’s that time of the year again, for those lucky ones, families will soon be gathering, an abundance of food will be on the table and thanks will be given to, in my case, God. Thanksgiving is one of the most innocent holidays, no gift giving, no real stress, just family coming together and giving thanks for everything they have been blessed with.

At times we may feel that you have nothing to be thankful for, but honestly even the poorest of us in the United States have more than the middle class residents of other countries, and that is a sad fact.

You may have grown hating school, but an education is nothing to take for granted. Others would kill to give their children the opportunity of education.

The first time I saw a woman on the side of the road crying, begging for even a scrap of food, my life was changed forever. It hurt me to see someone who had to beg for food, when I had so much myself.

You may not have those name brand jeans or those cool new shoes, but you have clothes. You may not be eating seafood and steak every night, but you have food. You may not have a brand new phone, but you have people to talk to.

You may be living in an old house, but you have a home. You may be driving a clunker, or no car at all, but you have legs and the ability to get around.

If you have someone taking care of you, biological in relation or not, you are blessed. If you have never had to leave your home or your country in fear of your life, you are blessed.

The problem with us first world people is, we can have a house, a family, and food in our stomachs, but we still find a way to label ourselves poor. If you have even one person that loves you, you have something to be thankful for and someone to thank. We need to learn the difference between being poor compared to someone else and actually having nothing.

I’m not saying we don’t have the right to be sad sometimes, but we don’t have the right to take all of the wonderful things we have for granted, or to pass by those who have little to nothing without lending a helping hand.

Thanksgiving is the time to remember all of the things we do have and forget all of the meaningless things we don’t. I am extremely thankful for everyone who supports me and loves me, all of the opportunities I have been blessed with, and that I am in back to being in good health.