Give Thanks for Thanksgiving

Give Thanks for Thanksgiving

“Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough.” -Oprah Winfrey

4469
Give Thanks for Thanksgiving

It is that time of year again! All you Christmas loving people need to hold your jingle-belled horses and red Starbucks cups for just a little longer because I am talking about Thanksgiving time. Which is, if you ask me, really the most wonderful time of the year.

Thanksgiving has unfortunately become the middle child of holidays. It is smack between Halloween and winter holidays which include, but are not limited to, Christmas, Hanukkah, Ramadan, Kwanzaa, and Three Kings Day. Thanksgiving, in the past decade, has even begun to get overshadowed by the eager cousin that annoys everyone just a little bit, Black Friday. This year, do not let detailed costumes or American consumerism get in the way of the most underrated holiday of the year.

Despite what I learned in the second grade I know now that the Pilgrims and the Native Americans did not sit down, hold hands and sing happy songs on Thanksgiving day. It was a little more brutal than that, but it does not mean that Thanksgiving should be thrown out.

Thanksgiving is the best holiday because it is a secular holiday. This means there is no real religious connection. Many argue you are giving thanks to God, but it was originally about giving thanks to the Harvest. Thanksgiving is all-inclusive and everyone, regardless of religious beliefs, can celebrate and enjoy it.

Thanksgiving, unlike almost every other holiday nowadays, does not have anything to do with gifts. There is no stress of finding the perfect present or having an imaginary figure sneak into your house at night to leave you everything you have ever desired. The focus is the more important things in life rather than on material possessions.

Rather than gifts, Thanksgiving is about food. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, gravy, cranberry sauce, biscuits and pies. *Insert heart eyes emoji*

Alongside food, Thanksgiving is about being with family and friends. This time of year is particularly special for college students because we get to go home to our families and our hometowns for a few short days. Thanksgiving is all about gathering together with people who mean the most to you, whether it is at a local football game with your old crowd from high school or a traditional turkey dinner with your family that you only get to see once a year.

My favorite part of Thanksgiving is it is a time to give thanks. It is easy in our busy lives to compare our bodies, minds and material possessions to other peoples. Yet, for one time each and every year we take a step back and look at all the things we are lucky enough to have. We reflect then realize how grateful we should be for everything we have. We realize we really are #blessed.

This Thanksgiving, let’s hug our family a little tighter and remember the people that are not at the table this year. Let’s bow our heads and be grateful for our health, the things that make us happy, the food in front of us and the people beside us. This year let’s give thanks for Thanksgiving.