Give "Kiss Me Thru The Phone" A Grammy

678-999-8212 Reasons That ‘Kiss Me Thru The Phone’ Still Deserves A Grammy...Or Maybe Just 5

(Not actually 6,789,998,212 reasons, but my point still stands.)

125

It's a guarantee that no Grammy season can please everyone. Remember when Beck won Best Album of the Year over Beyoncé in 2015? Twitter was a mess. Or even this year, when Kacey Musgraves won, leaving some asking who she is, while others argue that she's been popular this whole time. No matter who you are, you probably have found fault with who has gotten a Grammy in the past.

However, I think we as a society should all agree that Soulja Boy's "Kiss Me Thru The Phone" (featuring Sammie) deserved a Grammy. On behalf of society, I've laid out the reasons why this should've won the 2008 Song of the Year.

1. “Kiss Me Thru The Phone” defines the 2010s.

Me when this song comes on.

Anyone who grew up in this age knows how legendary this song is. It was a radio hit back when it was released, everyone knew the words, and people still reference Soulja Boy's (technically, Sammie's) number all the time. Plus, the decade hasn't ended so the 'Kiss Me Thru The Phone' era isn't over yet.

2. The song can be played anywhere.

House party? Check. Study party? Check. Office party? Check.

One of the reasons "Kiss Me Thru The Phone" is so universally known is because of its versatility. You could play this song at any type of event and the room would become a party. The music, the beat, the syncopation of '678, triple 9, 8, 2, 1, 2' — all so iconic.

3. The lyrics are timeless.

Me too, Tyra.

Besides the 10 digits that we all know, the rest of the song is also so classic. At its core, it's a song about loving your significant other and wanting to kiss them. It tells a story of a couple who can communicate ("we on the phone like") and understand each other ("baby you know that I miss you"). It's almost too relatable.

4. Soulja Boy is currently making his comeback.

TLDR? Soulja Boy basically said he created the Drake that we know today.

If you haven't been online recently, you might not know that Soulja Boy has been making his presence known. He's selling gaming consoles and going on radio shows. Maybe 2019 is going to be his year. Let's honor that by giving 'Kiss Me Thru The Phone' what it deserves.

5. It's a good song.

~Kiss me thru the phooooone... see you when I get home (I get home I get home)~

This needs no explanation, but I'll give you one anyway. This song is simply too good to live without true praise. We as music listeners have validated it, but where are the "professionals?" Whoever decided not to nominate "Kiss Me Thru The Phone" (one of the best-selling singles in the world) just wasn't thinking.

Admittedly, I was 8-years-old when this song came out, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. It's always been a great song, and I have faith that it won't fade into obscurity. Songs that deserve Grammys just don't do that.