Give Jared Leto's Joker A Chance

Give Jared Leto's Joker A Chance

He might surprise us all in August.

28
Give Jared Leto's Joker A Chance
Tech Insider

On August 5, 2016, the highly anticipated superhero film Suicide Squad will hit theaters nationwide. Directed by David Ayer, the movie features a team of elite supervillains who carry out dangerous missions on behalf of the U.S. government. Such members include the expert marksman and assassin Deadshot (played by Will Smith) and the psychotic Harley Quinn (played by Margot Robbie).

Photo Credit: Warner Bros.

However, it is Jared Leto's portrayal of the Joker that everyone awaits to see this summer. Ever since the psychopathic villain, played by the late actor Heath Ledger, appeared in Christopher Nolan's movie The Dark Knight (2008), the expectation levels for this iconic character have remained high.

To say Heath Ledger's performance of the Joker was phenomenal is an understatement. Ledger practically became the notorious lunatic who unleashed chaos into Gotham and turned the gritty city into his own wicked playground. The haunting words "Why so serious?" followed by his sinister, hyena-like laughter never fail to send shivers down my spine.

Which is why it is understandable that some of fans are skeptical to see how Jared Leto can pull off DC Comics most ruthless and criminal mastermind character. The internet has not been too kind, the reaction overwhelmingly negative after it was revealed that Leto will play the Joker.

Photo Credits: Paste Magazine

But of course this is unfair. When Heath Ledger was announced he would play the Joker in Nolan's "The Dark Knight" movie, there was the same uproar that we see at the moment with Jared.

"Bad casting" or "Wrong on every level" they said to Ledger's reveal.

Yet, he proved all those haters and doubters wrong when he brought the frightening character to life on the big screen and won a posthumous Oscar for Best Supporting Actor at the end.

Which is why we should not jump to conclusions and hold doubt for the new Joker that Jared Leto will play in Suicide Squad. Until the movie comes out in August, I say we should give Jared Leto a chance to deliver his performance and see whether or not he brought justice to the Joker character. Of course his Joker might be different in comparison to Ledger's Joker, but every actor is different and brings a new spin to their role.

At the moment, David Ayer claims that "Jared Leto's take on The Joker is so captivating, it even halted work on the film's set". Hopefully Leto's dedication translates well onto the big screen in August and prove his critics and the audience wrong--or right.

But until then, give Jared Leto a chance. It's the least we can do.