How to Give Back this Holiday Season

How to Give Back this Holiday Season

Every little bit counts.

4
How to Give Back this Holiday Season

Most of us have heard of Giving Tuesday, the Tuesday following thanksgiving that encourages people to give back to those less fortunate.

But why devote only one day out of the year to giving back?

The holiday season usually brings happy thoughts to mind for the large majority of us: time with family, Christmas shopping, hot cocoa, etc., but for a lot of people, it can be the saddest time of the year. There are several veterans, widows and widowers, and homeless people who are struggling to make ends meet, physically and emotionally.

I recently learned about an 80 year old man in my hometown, Kenneth Smith, who spent his life savings on medical bills in attempt to save his dying wife. To make ends meet while she was going through cancer treatments, they would both sell firewood on the side of the road. She has since passed away and he is still there nearly every day trying to make a few dollars.
His story eventually got around and someone ended up starting a GoFundMe page to support him. So far, $109,883 have been raised for him.

There are countless national charities to donate to year round, but let's also take time this holiday season to give back and look harder to see the people in need right in front of us, whether that means donating some money or sharing a friendly smile. Every little bit counts.