To The Girls Without Dads In Their Lives

It's not baggage, it's armor.

2487

So often girls without dads in their lives are said to have many problems. And that because of these problems they act out or form these 'daddy issues'. I don't like that. Just because one parent decided not to step up does not mean I should be seen as a problem or that I come with issues, we all have issues, right? Because the truth of the matter is, I developed so much character growing up without a dad. I am who I am because of this abandonment that I felt at such a young age. Since I felt that way, I knew I had to find a way to get over that feeling, because nothing was going to stop me from living a beautiful life.

Sure when it first came to dating I feared every guy. I feared they would just leave. Or that I wasn't good enough for them. All because this one man in my life made me fear rejection and love. Made me feel worthless and bad about myself. When I wasn't the one who was supposed to be feeling that way.

Growing up without a dad made me recognize how strong a woman can be. How independent she can be. And how she can overcome anything and everything life throws at her. I saw this and I carry that same mentality with me.

This isn't to say I don't hurt. I do. Especially around the holidays. But the truth is this non-traditional family that I am in just makes me feel so lucky. I rather have one caring parent who can tackle both roles than two parents who can't get one thing done.

I don't want people to see girls with estranged dads as extra baggage. Because this shouldn't be seen as baggage. But rather as armor. This girl knows the warning signs. This girl will not let anyone step over her. This girl has been through a lot and is still doing everything she wants in life. This girl will not be pushed around by anyone. She knows how to protect herself and feelings. And if she is feeling vulnerable, don't make her feel like she is nothing.

So to the girl without a dad in her life, you are not worthless. You are not disposable. You are not useless. You are not easy. You are not trash. You are not any less of a daughter. You are not the issue.

To the girl without a dad in her life, you are strong. You are powerful. You will overcome any obstacle in your life because one of the biggest happened to you already. You are wise. You have so much meaning. You have so much character. You are a fighter. You are you. You will not let anyone, and I mean anyone tells you, you are not good enough. Because you are enough and more.