8 Positive Thoughts For Girls In STEM Programs

It's no real secret that being a woman in any kind of STEM program can be a bit uncomfortable at times. Here are eight positive ways to get yourself through the experience and follow your passions.

72

If you're studying in the STEM field, and you occasionally wear heels, no doubt you've already faced your share of intimidation.

Despite advances in technology, women continue to face discrimination in math and science. This bias begins in the classroom, where harried public school teachers pay more attention to classroom miscreants — typically male — and it continues into the business world.

Nevertheless, women have continued to excel in STEM fields by keeping a positive mindset. If you need encouragement rather than brusque advice to grow a thicker skin, you've come to the right place. Here are eight thoughts to keep you motivated when the boys' club rains all over your mojo.

1. Make Friends With Discomfort 

No, you don't need to simply toughen up — but you do need to shake hands with discomfort and say, "howdy-do." This attitude isn't only a critical trait of women in STEM, but it's common to all highly-successful individuals.

Think about the last time you felt trepidation about doing something new. Maybe you started a new job or simply visited a new nightspot you've been too shy to try solo. After you did so, how did you feel? Chances are, you felt like you could conquer the world, right? Hold on to that feeling the next time you feel unsure whether you can succeed in your endeavors. You can.

2. Find Female Mentors 

One of the best ways to accelerate a career in any field is finding a competent mentor — or three. If you're in school, mentors abound. Think about your professors. Are there any you mesh well with or admire most? Ask them if they'd be willing to guide you in your career. Most are flattered when you ask and jump at the chance to take an ambitious learner under their wing.

Already in the workforce? Look for an opportunity to ask a female colleague or superior for coffee and a brief 10-minute chat. Explain your goals and ask if she'd help you attain them. Remember that mentoring is a two-way street, so if she agrees, offer to help her with her workload to show appreciation.

3. Throw Yourself Into Research 

Do you know what never judges you? Words on a page and assembly-line machines. When classroom or office politics make you want to rip out your hair, throw yourself into your work. Not only will you impress those who matter with your diligence, but you'll rise above any petty commentary based on your gender or any other characteristic quickly.

4. Learn Assertiveness Techniques 

Many women confuse assertiveness with aggression, and therefore, they react with deference even when coworkers make unreasonable demands. You can stand up for yourself and still act with compassion and respect toward others. As a woman in a male-dominated field, colleagues look to you to demonstrate this behavior.

Know your worth. Respond to reasonable requests respectfully, but learn how to say no to intrusive demands for things like making sure the shop coffee pot gets started each morning. Continue your growth, and become so good that your peers can't help but take notice.

5. Network — Invite Yourself

Do your male colleagues head out for lunch or happy hour without inviting you? Take a cue from strong women on television and invite yourself along.

Part of success in the workplace is showing your face and building a reputation for yourself. If only your immediate supervisor knows you on a first-name basis, you may miss promotions and other opportunities. Be bold. Say, "Hey, where are you guys off to?" — then grab your coat and order a brewski with the fellas.

6. Dismiss Gender Stereotypes 

Remember the old show tune "Anything You Can Do (I Can Do Better)" from Annie Get Your Gun? You don't have to pack heat, but do keep your pride intact. You don't think with your reproductive organs, so kick traditional gender norms to the curb. Flex your muscles.

7. Exude Confidence

Research shows bullies pick on those who emit an aura of victimization. Realize this is your life and your career, and no one has the right to challenge whether you deserve to be in your field. Square your shoulders, straighten your crown and exude confidence in yourself. After all, as a woman tackling the STEM field, you rock!

8. Share Your Advice

Now that you've learned how to succeed in STEM, share the love! Mentor another female student or colleague. Reach out to a struggling friend who needs encouragement.

Women can do anything they set their minds to, including succeeding in the male-dominated STEM fields. Next time you feel down, remember these words of wisdom and carry on with your bad self!