This One Is For The Girls Who Want To Break The Mold

Breaking the mold one girl at a time.

231
Personal Picture

Being told I can't do something is not what I hear a lot of. My whole life I've been told that I can do whatever I put my mind to.

No matter my age, race, or sex I've always been told I can overcome it. Being a woman is hard, and that's no secret. Sometimes we don't always get what we should but most of the time we get what we deserve because we work for it.

In the sports world there is no doubt that the world is heavily man operated. I mean of course you have your female sports such an NCAA Women's Basketball, WNBA, and NCAA College Softball. Those anchors are usually women.

Beth Mowins, Holly Rowe, and Erin Andrews are just a few names you've probably heard of. They are female reporters for ESPN. Erin Andrews and Holly Rowe can be spotted on the sidelines during NCAA College Football Playoffs, NBA Finals, and the College World Series. Beth Mowins is the voice you hear all throughout the Women's College World Series.

These women have made it possible for young broadcast journalism majors, like myself, easier to break into the man's world.

However, I hope to continue to break the barriers in a man-made sports world. While I love all sports, I thoroughly enjoy football. My dreams would be to actually cover a game. I want to report the game.

What if you were told it's too hard? Or you know it's going to be hard, would that stop you?

Honestly, did I stop in my tracks, yes I did. Would others turn away? Oh yes, they would turn away. However, I believe that this is my calling.

I have started an internship with a local news station. In the fall they cover local football teams. They have a two-hour show dedicated to the football teams. This is where I start to break the man mold.

If I can start breaking the mold at the local level with football I know I can break the mold at the state and even national level. I believe I can do this and I was meant to cover this.

Thankfully I have an inside look at football. I don't have the mind of a normal girl. I know the ends and outs of football and I can tell you all eleven positions on both sides of the ball.

Like I said I'm going to break the mold. In football and in baseball. I know if I put my mind to something that I can do anything. It will be hard but nobody would ever be successful if something was easy.