How I Got a Gift Card at the Gym From Being Kind

Never underestimate the power of kindness.

134

Kindness may seem like a one-sided thing. You're nice to someone, but there aren't any rewards for it. If anything happens, it'll be in the future when karma comes back around and helps you out. The other week I was at the gym, and I did a kind gesture, but while I was not seeking any "prize", I ended up gaining more than I expected.

I was finishing up my workout when I noticed a pair of earbuds lying next to me on a machine. I did what every person should do: I took them to the front desk worker and let them know that someone left their earbuds behind. She said "thank you", and I walked out, thinking nothing of what just happened. All I did was return something that was lost. That's it.

Over the weekend, the gym's receptionist (who is my friend) approached me, letting me know that she gave my name to the man who lost his earbuds. She told me that I might get a random email saying how thankful he was that I returned them, and I laughed, stating that it was no big deal. I didn't expect anything from it.

A few days later I was back at the gym, and one of the guys I usually see when I go there came up to me. He asked if I was Sophie, to which I nodded. He pulled out an envelope and gave it to me. He introduced himself to me and kept repeating how grateful he was for me finding his earbuds and returning them. I shook his hand and thanked him, adding how I don't need to have a reward for what I did. He insisted that I kept what the envelope contained, and when I opened it, saw that it held a $25 Wawa gift card. I was stunned. Then, being the awkward person I am, I went back up to him and asked for his name again because I was so in awe of what just occurred. He laughed, said his name, and we talked about karate, working out, and other stuff. We shook hands again, thanked each other, and went our own ways.

I still cannot believe that happened, but it showed me how being kind does bring rewards. This time, it was an actual, tangible, financial reward, but whatever it would have been, a simple "thank you" would suffice for me. All in all, kindness always triumphs. Never shy from the nice route, because in the long run, it's the better way.