Getting My Dog Was The Best & Worst Decision I Could've Made

Getting My Dog Was The Best And Worst Decision I Could've Possibly Made

He drives me half way insane.

166
Sarah Dean

When I first got Chance, I was completely certain that I was ready and able to get a dog. But really I had no idea what I was getting into. Chance is one of the sweetest, kindest souls you could ever meet, but he is one pain in my ass sometimes. How I explain him to people is he's just one big baby - literally.

The first week I brought Chance home he managed to chew up all three of my tv remotes, a couple bras, some shoes and tons of paper from my notebook. I knew from that point forward that this dog would not be as easy as I had been hoping. He is my problem child. He loves to chew on people. Give him your hand and he can chomp for hours! A lot of times when he wants you to play with him he will bite your butt. On one specific occasion, I took Chance to the dog park and he found a guy he wanted to play with, so as Chance does he bit this guy's butt only to grab ahold of his basketball shorts and take them down to his ankles. The poor guy had to tear his shorts out of my dog's mouth while walking around in his boxers… at the dog park. That was one of those moments as a dog mom that I was both horrified and amused at the same time. I was shaking my head, but chuckling inside.

In addition to taking bites out people's asses, my dog loves to go for runs… by himself. He loves to dig out of my fenced in backyard or find inventive ways to get out of his tie out. He enjoys taking leisure runs by himself all around my neighborhood. One time specifically last week, I had left Chance in the backyard to play with his buddies, Everest and Cairo. To no one's surprise, he dug out of the fence and decided to start running down the street. GREAT. It's 9:30 at night and the very last thing I wanted to be doing was chasing my dog down the road. Usually, I can trust Chance to stay within my neighborhood but this time he decided to take a stroll on Ball State Campus. So here are me and my kind neighbor, running down McKinley Avenue trying to get my crazy, pain in the ass dog.

If you think I'm done with Chance's bad habits, you are sadly mistaken. When Chance is outside and wants to come in, he has no problem dirtying my glass front door in order to get my attention. The amount of times I have to clean that damn door is ridiculous. Then, of course, I can't forget the lovely trick my other dog Neua taught him. Neua had come over one afternoon before her vet appointment and she conveniently taught Chance how to get into the cat's room and eat not only the cat's food but also cat poop. THANK YOU SO MUCH NEUA :) So now every time I come home, I find him locked in the cat room, all the food completely gone and cat liter strung around the room.

Although Chance gives me a run for my 170 dollars, I find something new to love about him every day. His goofy, personalty will always make me laugh or smile and his loving soul always makes my heart grow fonder. I have a bed buddy that is always ready to sleep on mommy's bed and a companion that whines until I take him for a walk. He gets me out and moving and on hard days he gives me something to wake up for. His sweet eyes and caring soul always prove truer than any of his faults. And although he tests my patience every day, I am one lucky girl to have such a cute dog.