Getting Tired Of Your Overused Playlist? 10 Songs To Add If You Are In Need Of Some Fresh Music!

From Indie, Funk, or even pop music! These songs are sure to get you moving!

2
By Sydney Ulrich

Music has been and always will be a huge part of my life. Being a vocalist as well as an instrumentalist, I have gotten many opportunities to listen to a wide variety of great music as well as take what I've learned and apply it to my own music! These are some songs that have a special place in my heart and that I recommend you give a listen to!

1. Molasses- Hiatus Kaiyot

When I first listened to this song I was blown away. Hiatus Kaiyote opened my eyes to a new world of music that I have never known before. This song was a mix on indie, jazz, and alternative. When you listen to Molasses, you cant help but take it all in. It's hard to just listen to the vocals or just listen to the drums and etc. Every second of this song is organized chaos and a work of beauty all in one. The lyrics are so vivid and spiritual as well as the instrumentals.

2. You Oughta Know- Original Broadway Recording Of Jagged Little Pill

I could listen to this song all day on repeat. Now don't get me wrong, I understand that this is just a remake of Alanis Morissette's original song, but for some reason this version just packs more of a punch. When I listen to this song, I can just see myself on stage staring at the crowd before me as I show off a scowl on my face and violently sing the lyrics as if it was a battle cry. When Lauren Patten sing this song, there is so much betrayal and anger in her voice and her facial expressions. It really is a powerful piece.

3. Sir Duke- Stevie Wonder

When I say this song has AMAZING brass, I mean it! This song is full of beautiful runs and has a nice swing beat. As a Bass player, the bass in this song gives me so much joy as well as immense pain knowing how hard it is (for someone like myself who has only been playing for around a year or two).

4. Swimming in the Moonlight- Bad Suns

This indie song never fails to put a smile on my face. It had been at the top of my favorites list for years. The guitar is absolutely beautiful and the harmonies are breathtaking. Bad Suns is a huge inspiration in my songwriting. The way their lyrics flow and have this beautiful poetic edge to it inspires me to write every day and improve my songwriting skills.

5. Someone New- Hozier

Not only is this song just a ray of sunshine, but the lyrics are so beautiful and powerful. When I listen to this song, i think about equality and just loving everyone who you see. I am an artist and love staring at peoples facial features when they talk. Although society has its beauty standards that say if you don't look like every other cookie cutter beauty, you are not beautiful; I believe everyone has their own beauty. Everyone was handcrafted with their own face and body that is unique to them and i fine that extraordinarily beautiful.

6. 505- Arctic Monkeys

505 is a super laid back song that brings me such good vibes. Whenever i listen to this song I feel like i'm floating in a lake, living my best life. The vocals really bring out a chill feeling and makes me feel calm. I particularly like the lyrics because they are desperate and describe a longing for the past or a past person. My favorite lyric is, "I crumble completely when you cry"

7. September- Earth, Wind, & Fire

This song. Right here. This song is one of the BIGGEST bops i have ever heard in my life. The entire song just brings such good and happy vibes and i cant help but dance whenever I hear this this song come on. My favorite part of this song is the bass line. This song has one of my favorite bass lines and i love it with all my heart.

8. Heather- Conan Gray

I have been following Conan Gray for a few years now and i would just like to say that i am so proud of all he has accomplished. Heather is a song about jealousy and pining over someone who loves another. I love the acoustic guitar as well as the harmonies. The harmonies for "Walks by" and "sore eyes" are so angelic and you feel as if you are watching heather in dramatic slow motion that shows off her beauty.

9. Strawberry Blond- Mitski

Strawberry Blond is another tragic love song about pining over someone who you cannot have. This song has a beautiful mystical feel too it. It's vibes directly match its lyrics. As you listen to this song, you feel as if you are sitting in the passenger seat starring at those same white lines or running through a grassy field passing by wildflowers with the buzzing bees all around you.

10. Like Real People Do- Hozier

"I will not ask you where you came from. I will not ask and neither should you. Honey just put your sweet lips on my lips. We should just kiss like real people do." I have had those lyrics running through my head for the past two months. This song has such a powerful message about having a dark past and about broken love. This song explains that love can over come any hardship that you experienced in the past and that you need to focus on now. Stay in the present and love with your full heart.