Getting Over The Mid Semester Blues

Getting Over The Mid Semester Blues

It may be a hard time of year, but here is some advice on how to make it better for yourself!

6
Getting Over The Mid Semester Blues
Odyssey

As the spring weather begins to make an appearance and the sun shines longer, summer is one of the main things getting me through the semester. Countdowns are made and daydreams about the beach become so vivid, that one can almost taste and feel the sand that just manages to get everywhere no matter what. Summer seems so close, so easy to reach, and then the massive amounts of end of the year projects, papers, and exams bring every college student right back down to reality.

The middle of the second semester can be one of the most stressful times of the entire academic year because students are not only trying to get through the semester, but trying to figure out housing next year, and get their summer plans in line whether it be a part-time job or internship. Vacation plans are talked about with friends, brightening our days a little bit, only to look at our bank account and cry on the inside at how broke all of us college students are. Regardless, it's stressful and when that nice weather finally hits, it can be even harder to stay focused.

To say this last month and a half, the final stretch of the semester is a roller coaster of emotions is an understatement. I myself find it even harder to get work done and get even more stressed out about what I will be doing this summer. However, these last couple of weeks I have decided to take on a new attitude and just try and have as much fun as I can!

These last weeks at school are the time for us to do all of the things with our friends that we said we would do this year, but never did. It's time to start shedding those comfortable, bulky winter sweaters (weather permitting) and put on something bright to welcome the nice weather!

No matter how stressful and overwhelming the work may seem, never forget to take breaks. Even if its just a short one, a small break is so beneficial to your mental health. I used to push through, staying up all hours of the night, just to try and get my assignments done only to look at them in the morning and realize I had made so many mistakes that it was going to take just as long to edit. Tackling only one project at a time and keeping your mind fresh is what I have found to be the best solution to handling some stresses of homework and even life.

So as the weather warms up and we get a day here and there that is not an "April Shower," take advantage of the time! Go outside and study in the quad, get a sweet treat with your friends, just remember to have fun, plain and simple. You do not want to look back on your college years and remember all of the stress and homework you had, rather work to create memories. This will also help in getting through this hard part of the semester to the pot of gold at the end of the April showers: summer time!