Don't Be That Second-Semester Sophomore Who's Wasting Her Best Years Alarmed And Worried Over Her Major

Trepidation, worried, and frightened about majors and minors.
76

In addition to the long anticipation of hopefully getting the internship and job of choice, many are still waiting to hear back if they get into their majors. Alarmed and worried are the only two things second semester sophomores at the University of Delaware are currently feeling.

I went into freshman year with a communication interest, hoping to eventually get into the major. All students with a communication interest will hear if they get accepted or denied sometime this summer. There is most definitely a lot of trepidation when pondering the thought that you can possibly get denied from your major that you've been working so diligently for the past two years for.

It brings down your ego thinking you're not good enough for the major, or students at the university are way smarter than you. It's hard to avoid these feelings in its entirety.

To help your chances of getting into this major, there are a few steps you can take. For starters, checking the requirements on UDSIS can point you in the right direction, displaying the grades you need for this major. Remember, all professors want to see their students succeed, not fail. It is important to keep that thought in mind and to not jump to conclusions. It's much better to stay positive than to think the worse because if you have your mind set on failure, you will proceed to fail.

If you see that you're satisfying the requirements, then you can take a deep breath, relax, and keep doing exactly what you're doing. On the other hand, if you're not fulfilling these requirements, or aren't succeeding to a higher potential, get academic help. You're the only person who can make a difference. Go to your professor's office hours.

Your professor is always the most knowledgeable when it comes to his or her specific class, so go with questions relating to confusion, exams, how to effectively study, and much more. If your professor doesn't have an assigned office hour time, don't be afraid to email to schedule an appointment. Your professor will be happy that you are taking initiative and might add on an extra point to your overall grade!

At the end of the day, all you can do is try your personal best and to the fullest extent. You need to go in with an all or nothing mentality, meaning go in 100%. In addition, always have a plan A, but never a plan B. If you have a plan B, then you are settling. Therefore, you can have a second plan A. Again, but never a plan B. This way, you won't regret what you didn't do or live up to your fullest potential!

Don't settle for meritocracy.