Owning A Cat In College

Getting A Cat In College Was My Best Decision Yet

I now know love and responsibility like no other.

57

Two years ago, my friend and I went to a pet store just to play with some dogs after class.

It may sound strange, but in our college town, it's a normal thing to do when you're bored. Well, while I was there, I stumbled upon a little kitten the size of my hand and fell in love with it. After noticing the price tag of almost $750 and knowing my apartment complex would never let me have a cat, I reluctantly left the store empty-handed.

For years, I thought about how my life would be different if I had my very own cat. I kept talking myself out of it because I knew I was a college student with not a whole lot of time or money. I basically trashed the idea from my head a couple months ago and told myself it wasn't my time.

Well, now, that time came when I least expected it.

I just started the new semester of what would be my last year of college. I just moved into a house with one other roommate closer downtown and am still getting acquainted with the area. I have a full schedule composed of classes, an internship and a part-time job at a local brunch restaurant. Not to mention, I am also the President of Odyssey for my school, which is a great deal of responsibility in itself.

But as they say, things come when you least expect them.

I was working late one night for my school paper when another editor messaged in the group chat saying she needed to find a home for a cat she was taking care of. I immediately threw the idea away in my head and kept telling myself, "I'm too busy for a cat." But she kept messaging us asking if we, or if anyone we knew, could take it home.

I wasn't really buying into the idea of actually owning a cat until she sent a video of her playing with some toys, and the second I laid eyes on her, I fell in love.

She's this little fluff ball full of energy and need for love. As much as I kept trying to convince myself that I didn't need this cat, I had this voice in the back of my mind that kept saying, "But she needs you."

So after considering it for days, talking to my parents, my roommate and my landlord, I decided that I would take this cat home with me.

The first day she entered my house, I knew she was a perfect fit. She was loving, curious and playful all in one. After just a few minutes, she found her way into my bedroom and clearly picked her rightful spot on my bed. Every day when I come home, she's usually in the same little corner on my comforter right next to the window.

There's nothing like stepping into your room after a terribly long morning of classes or work and having a little furry thing jump up and meow in excitement. Cersei (my kitty) comes running to the edge of the bed and wants to be pet right away, even before I can put my bag down.

I didn't know how full a cat would make my heart, and as silly as it sounds, she filled all the pieces that were missing.

If you're considering getting an animal, first, adopt don't shop. After adopting this angel, I know how appreciative she is of me and how grateful she is to have a home where she is loved. Second, just do it. The money will fall into place and you'd be surprised how much time you can spend home if you just try. I noticed that before, more often than not, I wasn't spending a great deal of time in my house because there was really nothing keeping me there. But now that I have a little critter depending on me, I look forward to an evening spent in my bed with my little cuddle buddy.

I've learned that having a pet of your own, not just your parents' animal, is truly unmatched. I am this cat's mom and I feel it in my heart, and I know she does too.

Love is always unexpected, even in the case of furry ones.