How To Beat Anxiety

8 Tips To Deal With Anxiety Told From An Excessively Anxious Person

Worrying about countless things has left me experienced on how to cope with my anxiety.

4

As a rising high school senior, I guess it's fair to say that I have had my share of anxiety. And I know I'm not the only one - plenty of high school students and young adults cope in various ways, but here are a couple that have worked for me.

1. Screaming Into A Pillow

This one may seem cliché, but it has honestly been very helpful. Giving yourself some time to vent out your frustrations provides a quick outlet for all of that pent up frustration.

2. Positive Role Model

I usually pick a very positive or successful person in your life that I look up to. Whenever I am feeling anxious or worried, I remind myself of what they would do if they were in my shoes and prompt myself to do just that.

3. Drink Tea

I have found tea to calm me down whenever I have felt nervous. I usually drink chai tea, but any type of tea should work. Just make sure you will enjoy drinking it, so it will actually help you relax for a couple of minutes.

4. Household Chores

Keeping busy keeps my mind off of the stressor, so I usually do household chores such as cleaning my room or washing the dishes to momentarily forget about something specific.

5. Wash Your Face With Cold Water

I feel as though cold water helps jarr me back to reality, so I splash some onto my face whenever I feel myself become preoccupied about something. If needed, I wash my face many times during the day.

6. Long, Hot Showers

Hot showers are where I feel the most comfortable, so I will often take a very long shower to use as time for contemplation. When I choose to step out of the shower, I usually have a plan of action already drawn up.

7. Read A Book

Reading is another way I am able to take my mind off of whatever I am anxious about. I take great care to set a timer just in case I need some time after to finish up some work.

8. Go Jogging

Jogging and running both release natural oxytocin inside the body, and I feel like this is why I feel better after some cardio workouts.

9. Call A Friend

This is a perfect time to add your bestie into the mix. Call him/her up and vent your feelings; often communication is the best way to get to the root of your problem.

10. Sweet Treats

Treat yourself! The best way to combat anxiety and insecurity is offer your body something that will make you feel good, and ice cream and cakes can certainly help.

11. Stress Ball

I have personally used a stress ball during junior year of high school, and let me just say, squeezing the life out of that ball has brought me much needed comfort.

12. Draw Up A Schedule

Sometimes, the best way to find clarity is to set up time blocks for everything you need to accomplish well within any deadlines.

13. Happy Place

Take a second to close your eyes, focus on your breathing and imagine yourself in a place or time that makes you happy. This way, you can lower your racing heart beat and find a moment of peace.