What To Expect When You Bring Home A Kitten

Their paws are always in your hand when you hold your hand to your heart.

59
Elizabeth Barker

They live and they love, but sometimes you think it's just not long enough. At the end of the day, their paws touched your heart in a way that a hand could not.

About a month ago, I lost my best friend. To some, it may sound odd that I say my cat was my best friend, but he was. Anyone who has an animal will agree that animals have a way of cuddling up to your heart and warming it in a way you never imagined. My cat was young. I didn't have a lifetime of love from him. Even though at times I miss him terribly, I know that I got all the love I needed from him. He gave me lifetimes worth of love in two and a half years.

I could go on and on about how much I still love him and all of my memories of him. I could go on and on about how perfect he was to me. Instead, I want to go on and on about my new kitten, who is not and could never be a replacement. I want to share with you what happens when you let a new bundle of fluff into your life.

When you lose your cat, it may take some time to get through it. You may even feel that you don't want another cat. I had those emotions, but deep down I found a peace with Carmit's passing. That allowed me to realize that if Carmit taught me one thing in his life, he taught me how to open my heart in ways I had never thought about. I welcomed into my life not just a kitten, but a baby kitten. He was less than three months old when we brought him home. In the few weeks that I have had him, I have learned this about getting a new cat.

You can never expect your new cat to be like your old one. Yes, there will be tons of similarities in one way or another. Your new cat might even adopt the quirks and mannerisms of your old kitty without ever meeting him. When that happens, it may hit you hard. The pain of losing your old friend may come back more intensely than ever before. Just remember that your new kitty is not your old love. They are completely different cats. Carmit came to us without knowing how to meow. He learned how, from the best (me!). But at first he could only squawk. Until the day he died, Carmit made the most adorable squawking noise you could ever hear. My new kitten, Tiberius, he doesn't do that. Instead, he has a soft, high pitched meow that sounds a little hoarse. It is just as cute, but I often find myself wishing I could hear that squawk one more time.

As I said, I could go on and on about both of my loves, Tiberius and Carmit. No matter what, I will always hold Carmit's paw close to my heart. Just like I will hold Tiberius close to my heart. I love them both, but my love for Tiberius is a little different.

To anyone who has ever lost a cat, you truly feel like a part of you is lost. But it's not. That small part of your heart that you feel has died with your cat is just outside wandering around, waiting for the right present to bring home to your heart. Cats are amazing creatures. If you have even lost a cat or ever will lose a cat, don't think too much about the pain. Think about the moments that made you fall in love with that ball of fluff time and time again. Remember that cats are here to teach us, not for us to teach them.

At night when you feel a little lonely and you wish you could cuddle with you baby, always remember that their paw is always in your hand when you hold your hand to your heart.